• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lots of chinese cabbage

Doodad

Our garden has been very prolific and we are blessed with a ton of chinese cabbage. I make stir fried cabbage last night for a grilled fish dish, but need more ideas. Other than just stir frys please. I may make some faux kimchi or such with some of it.

I make this loosely SE Asian salad with skirt steak, shiitake, cucumbers, shallots, mint, cilantro, lime, fish sauce, and whatever else I want to throw in there. Usually the main crunch is provided by some Chinese cabbage or another. Last night it was bok choy.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

What kind of Chinese cabbage? I think Napa cabbage is great for cabbage rolls. It's lighter than regular cabbage and I think the shape is better for rolling. I also like it raw, thinly sliced in salads ("Chinese chicken salad" anybody?).

I think it is a kind of Japanese hybrid. I can find pics of it, but every name seems different. It is essentially a kind of loose leaf bok choy with more green than white on big leaves. It is very good and this fresh is a treat. And I have two more heads in the garden as we speak.

Hmm...is this cabbage more like bok choy rather than Chinese or napa cabbage? The Chinese cabbage I'm thinking of is a pale green with very tender, wrinkly leaves. The tenderness can be important in recipes that include Chinese cabbage. Anyway, here are my ideas.

I've never made this particular recipe, but it's similar to a Chinese cabbage salad I was addicted to for awhile. I like it with the addition of chopped cilantro and peanuts.

James Peterson's Thai Chinese Cabbage Salad:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Thai-Chinese-Cabbage-Salad-15312

You could also make pork siu mai, one of the simplest of the Chinese dim sum. I like Joyce Jue's recipe.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1995/09/27/FD23330.DTL

Potstickers can also contain some chopped Chinese cabbage.

Actually, Chinese cabbage pairs well with any kind of Asian-style braised or steamed pork. I steam the cabbage and serve it as a veggie side dish. It also tastes good in an Asian-style soup with pork broth and pork meatballs.

For a Western slant, Chinese cabbage tastes surprisingly good when sauteed with butter, S&P, and served with grilled meat.

Edited by djyee100 (log)