• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving for Food

Food!

How obsessed are you? Have you ever been somewhere you ate something SO good you thought OMG.... i wish i lived here so i could have this anytime i wanted to?

I know people travel long distances for good meals or to get things they desire for their pantry.... but would you move? have you?

I have ..... AND i am about to do it again.

So what about you?

I would LOVE to know if there are others out there as crazy as i am. LOL

Thanks

Have not done so and am very glad that I live in an area where I can't get a long list of things I love to eat. Safer that way.

If I want something yummy...I make it.

But good luck to you. You say you are crazy. An interesting kind of crazy I think.

And welcome to the list.

Now driving out of one's way to get to certain food. This we have done.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I haven't moved for food, but I use it as a part of the research when I am determining where to live. I check where the good restaurants in town are, and what kind of options there are.

Welcome SpaghettiWestern - now I'm curious, where have you moved to for food, and where are you moving to now?

I haven't moved for food, but I use it as a part of the research when I am determining where to live. I check where the good restaurants in town are, and what kind of options there are.

Welcome SpaghettiWestern - now I'm curious, where have you moved to for food, and where are you moving to now?

And moreover, what food is it?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Pasta, at a guess...

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter

I am moving THIS time for Texas BBQ. LOL I am INSANE for their smoked meats !

I MUST have it down the street from me. For Years i have been in and out of Texas on the way to somewhere else and now its time to MOVE there to take advantage of good chicken fried steaks and LONG smoked BBQ !

In the past i have moved to Seattle for amazing fresh crabs and salmon... to New Orleans for the fresh shrimp off the boats and all the unbelieveable eats they have there..... to Arizona for the most amazing burito EVER and to Vegas for Lotus of Siam as often as i could manage it. LOL

I have lived in northen Califirnia for their incredible artisan bakers.... the sourdough baguettes are to die for.

i EVEN lived in Canada for a while because i LOVE their BACON flavored potato chips you CANNOT buy in the states.

SO NOW! its time for Texas ! LOL

The smoked meats down there drive me CRAZY!

Maybe this time.... i wont be able to leave.

Edited by SpaghettiWestern (log)

Pasta, at a guess...

NOPE! Pasta i LOVE to make at home. But you are right about one thing..... its definitely one of my favourite foods.... i have it every day.

I never really 'moved' for food, but back when I traveled for a living, we tended to go back to the same towns every year. There was a restaurant in Amarillo, TX that did a fabulous stuffed baked potato, a supper club in MN where the steaks were wonderful, the 'church' food joints in Indianapolis at the state fair, etc. I really looked forward to going back to those places!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

... I MUST have it down the street from me ...

How does that work? Presumably, each time after you move you no longer have the thing you previously moved for down the street from you. I foresee an (almost) endless loop of food moves.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

How does that work? Presumably, each time after you move you no longer have the thing you previously moved for down the street from you. I foresee an (almost) endless loop of food moves.

Actually.... it could be an endless loop if i let it. At some point i am just going to have to decide what it is i cant live without.... and stay in that one place. Its been about about 7 years since i have lived in Arizona and i am still dreaming about the little hole in the wall place where i get my tortillas. I know that sounds silly but trust me.....THESE tortillas are like no other i have encountered. AND.... they make the most SUBLIME burritos.

SO fabulous in fact...... its been a toss up on going to Texas or back to Arizona. But... after much thought i have hope that i will find equally GREAT tortillas in Texas at some point. So... Its Texas i am going to.

And of course...... i could actually get burnt out on what it is that i am moving for. LOL who knows?

That did happen to one food item in Louisiana.

And as far as cooking some of these things i love so much..... i am a rotten cook.

I am Italian so making good pasta comes easily to me. LOL learned from my parents.... but thats all i am good at.

So..... when the time comes to pack up and move on to the next desired place.... i am always ready to go. LOL

I have great hopes for Texas.... i have been thinking about it for so many years..... i might just wind up stayin there.

Edited by SpaghettiWestern (log)

Actually.... it could be an endless loop if i let it. At some point i am just going to have to decide what it is i cant live without.... and stay in that one place. Its been about about 7 years since i have lived in Arizona and i am still dreaming about the little hole in the wall place where i get my tortillas. I know that sounds silly but trust me.....THESE tortillas are like no other i have encountered. AND.... they make the most SUBLIME burritos.

SO fabulous in fact...... its been a toss up on going to Texas or back to Arizona. But... after much thought i have hope that i will find equally GREAT tortillas in Texas at some point. So... Its Texas i am going to.

And of course...... i could actually get burnt out on what it is that i am moving for. LOL who knows?

That did happen to one food item in Louisiana.

And as far as cooking some of these things i love so much..... i am a rotten cook.

I am Italian so making good pasta comes easily to me. LOL learned from my parents.... but thats all i am good at.

So..... when the time comes to pack up and move on to the next desired place.... i am always ready to go. LOL

I have great hopes for Texas.... i have been thinking about it for so many years..... i might just wind up stayin there.

I'm with you on the Texas barbecue.

The thing is, most stuff I could make myself. Like pasta, for example.

And tortillas, too, for that matter - although Texas indeed does have tortillas equally fabulous to the ones I routinely got when we lived in Tucson.

But unless I really up my 'smoked-meats' game, not to mention invest in some sort of costly proper smoker or pit, I simply cannot replicate the best of Texas 'cue, like what they serve up at Lockhart, Luling, Lexington, Giddings, Gonzales, etc. I know lots of folks that have tried, but it's just about impossible to turn out that ambrosial brisket unless you're a meat smokin' hobbyist devoting untold hours and hours to your craft. Which I ain't, and which I'm not going to become at this late date.

I live in Texas now. Didn't move here for the food. But as I contemplate where to live the rest of my life, can't leave Texas. And that actually means Central Texas.

And it's all thanks to the barbecue.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Food!

How obsessed are you? Have you ever been somewhere you ate something SO good you thought OMG.... i wish i lived here so i could have this anytime i wanted to?

I know people travel long distances for good meals or to get things they desire for their pantry.... but would you move? have you?

I have ..... AND i am about to do it again.

So what about you?

I would LOVE to know if there are others out there as crazy as i am. LOL

Thanks

I moved to Hanoi for this very reason. I was travelling there with my husband in 2003, when on our first morning we stumbled out of the hotel and into a bakery with fresh loaves of bread and hot strong coffee. Not five feet away was a pho stand packed with morning commuters having a bowl before riding off to work. We decided then and there we had to live there to fully appreciate all the eating opportunities. We made the move in 2006 and stayed for almost two years. Now, when I visit a new country on holiday, I'm always thinking..."Hmm, could I live here?"

This is why I've not yet travelled to Italy. I'm afraid that once I go in, I'll never come out again!

I moved to Hanoi for this very reason. I was travelling there with my husband in 2003, when on our first morning we stumbled out of the hotel and into a bakery with fresh loaves of bread and hot strong coffee. Not five feet away was a pho stand packed with morning commuters having a bowl before riding off to work. We decided then and there we had to live there to fully appreciate all the eating opportunities. We made the move in 2006 and stayed for almost two years. Now, when I visit a new country on holiday, I'm always thinking..."Hmm, could I live here?"

This is why I've not yet travelled to Italy. I'm afraid that once I go in, I'll never come out again!

NAKJI ! WOW ! FANTASTIC !

I absolutely LOVE pho so I can totally understand your move ! Thats one place i have thought about for years because of the food.

AND.... i can understand too how you feel about Italy.... i have been there many times.... but i am afraid if i go one more time..... I wont get out either ! LOL

Edited by heidih
Fixed quote tags (log)

Malaysia another danger zone for me..although I know I probably don't want to live there, the food is very, very tempting in Kuala Lumpur.

Anyway, I always love places where you can get a wide variety of cuisines, which is why I'll probably ultimately end up moving to Toronto or Vancouver when I eventually move back to Canada. The thought of being able to walk around and have access to quality Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Greek, Italian, Ethiopan food...the mind boggles.

Malaysia another danger zone for me..although I know I probably don't want to live there, the food is very, very tempting in Kuala Lumpur.

Anyway, I always love places where you can get a wide variety of cuisines, which is why I'll probably ultimately end up moving to Toronto or Vancouver when I eventually move back to Canada. The thought of being able to walk around and have access to quality Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Greek, Italian, Ethiopan food...the mind boggles.

And I have to say that's one great thing about Houston. I didn't really plan to come here, but as long as I am here, I certainly must say I'm enjoying the inexhaustible variety of restaurants that the US's fourth-largest city provides. Houston seems to be an immigrant mecca. Very large populations from every country on the planet. The Vietnamese community here is second-largest in the nation; only California's Orange County is larger. Every nation is represented, along with at least four or five restaurants specializing in their indigenous cuisine.

All that and terrific barbecue and Mexican food, too.

Now, if it were just not for these blasted, infernal summers...

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And I have to say that's one great thing about Houston. I didn't really plan to come here, but as long as I am here, I certainly must say I'm enjoying the inexhaustible variety of restaurants that the US's fourth-largest city provides. Houston seems to be an immigrant mecca. Very large populations from every country on the planet. The Vietnamese community here is second-largest in the nation; only California's Orange County is larger. Every nation is represented, along with at least four or five restaurants specializing in their indigenous cuisine.

All that and terrific barbecue and Mexican food, too.

Now, if it were just not for these blasted, infernal summers...

YEAH ! the summers are horrific ! I remember New Orleans in the summer and it was SOOO difficult.

I didnt know that about the Vietnamese population in Huston. I LOVE vietnamese food and the REAL thing is SO hard to find. I am hoping that some of that has drifted to central Texas LOL

the BBQ is over the top but GREAT vietnamese food is to die for too.

YEP ! i know what you mean. I lived in Vancouver too and THAT is an AWESOME place for ALL that food !

• 2 weeks later...

When I have been interviewing for training positions and jobs, I spent more time checking out the local groceries, bookstores and libraries than museums and other local sights. If I couldn't find good stuff, I just wouldn't be willing to live there. End of story.

With the internet making it so easy to get specialty books and those foods that travel well--dried, canned, spiced--and having made liberal use of it even though I live in LA, where nearly every possible thing is available someplace--but actually getting to it is not always trivial--I would be more flexible than at one time. But still, it's as important to me as the climate and whether I know anyone there.

I have lived in northen Califirnia for their incredible artisan bakers.... the sourdough baguettes are to die for.

You do my heart good. My son was recently one of those artisan bakers, in Petaluma. He's a double graduate of the CIA. You don't need a personal chef, do you? :wink: Don't know if he'd leave Santa Barbara for that, though!

peel_in_motion4.sm.jpg

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

I commuted eight hours from Vermont to Maine once a week to dive for sea urchins. I ended up moving here for the seafood.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

If I could, I would move back to the north of Spain for the seafood. I've lived in Maine, and the lobster there is undeniably the best in the world. But overall, I'd trade it for the fish, the seafood, and the giant barnacles (percebes) that I was eating there as a poor person back in the day.

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

Lonnie.... If I could afford a private chef.... I would have a place to live in EVERY place i wanted certain foods.

then....move around seasonally. LOL so no.... I cant afford a personal chef. but I LOVE the picture of that bread!

You are right about the internet making it easy to get things. I could even mail order the BBQ if I wanted it. BUT.... I want the option of taking in the WHOLE thing. I want the regular experience of walking into a place and enjoying the smells and sights. i want to see them carving my brisket and putting it into that brown butcher paper.

I want to observe what others are eating and how they enjoy the the Q they bought.

so..... I gotta move there.

AND.... I dont care if i know anyone or not where i am going. I have lived all OVER not knowing a soul when I got there... BUT.... I knew where to find the food I was after. And THAT was all I was interested in.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Its nice to know I am not the only nutcase when it comes to getting the food I am after.

I am moving to Texas in 4 weeks. Everytime I think about waking up in Q country EVERYDAY... I get giddy. LOL

CANT WAIT to get there.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. It's really fun. Just for you, the bread before it's baked, and then rows and rows of it in that huge oven. The peel was 12 feet long.

peel_in_motion8.sm.jpg

peel_in_motion1.sm.jpg

Lonnie those pictures are great. i think that doing THAT kind of ART for a living is wonderful. I wouldnt have the dedication for it. I admire people who do.

And about the thread..... I have wondered for years if there were many others like me that would pick up and move somewhere... JUST because there was a regional speciality.... or even just because there was a favorite food source avilable. LOL now its possible to ask these things here on a site like this.

Hell.... I have even moved for good water. I dont mean the stuff you buy in the bottle but good natural sweet mountain water with just the right minerals for great flavor. yes.... I know I am nutz. but the year spent there was just amazing.

anyway... thanks again for the pics.

SpaghettiWestern, not to hijack the thread, but what do you do for a living that allows you to move about so blithely? Sure wish I could! :laugh::sad:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"