• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great eating in and around Bracknall?

Hi Jester - well named - anyone that thinks there might be anywhere worth eating in Bracknell must be a jester! I have been watching this thread since it came up. What is your budget? You have to go out of the area for anything good. How far are you willing to travel? We are local and have tried them all. :rolleyes:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Yes, it depends what you mean by "around" Bracknell, and also what you're looking for in terms of "great eating". You're not far from Bray (two out the UK's three three-star restaurants), and Marlow, slightly lower-end with The Hand and Flowers and the Vanilla Pod. West a bit near Newbury, is the Vineyard at Stockcross.

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Hi guys, many thanks for the posts, i'm aware of all the michelin/AA places. I like honest food,of great qualty. My big chef heros are David Evertt-Matthias,Heston and some of the up and coming younger guys. No maximum budget just wondering if there are any hidden gems lets say 20 mins drive from Bracknall. You know the feeling get home no plans and suddenly, oh yes let buzz out and eat but don't want to end up getting un-honest, over priced pith, which is served in so many places.

I like small focused quality, in nice surrondings.

Thanks again for responding

Edited by Jester (log)

I thought you would know all the top ones. That is the big problem around here there is nowhere close to pop out to when you don't want to cook. There is Ruchetta in Wokingham which has been our favourite for a long time but their head chef has gone to Angelo's other restaurant - Ruchetta at Peppard and we don't think the guy there now is quite as good. Give it a try and see what you think - it is not cheap though. :unsure:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link