• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dried curry leaves

egale

With a great deal of trouble, I managed to grow a curry tree from seed here in southern California. I had to prune it lately as it had become quite leggy. As a result, I have a bag full of fresh curry leaves in the refrigerator.

Without noticing, I dropped some of the pruned curry leaves on the floor when I bagged them. I picked them up in a few days and the leaves had dried. They were quite aromatic and redolent of curry, although quite dry.

So my question is, should I dry the rest of the curry leaves for later use? I will be a month or two until my tree produces fresh leaves again.

I read in some previous threads that "dried curry leaves are good for nothing." Is that really true?

IMHO far better to freeze them than to dry them.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I also agree they freeze really well whole - I always just cook straight from frozen - and cook as well as fresh leaves, whereas dried can loose pungancy & the texture in a cooked dish is different/ less desireable to me.

• 1 year later...