• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi at home advice on seaweed

kangarool

All elements of our sushi making efforts at home are working... except the seaweed wrap. It's always just that bit too tough and overly chewy, and the whole thing falls apart when eating because of it. Any advice? I can think of three factors, but haven't had a chance to experiment:

1) Quality of nori sheets. Is it, like most things in life, you get what you pay for? Because I haven't purchased high-end (price) sheets, which may solve the problem then and there?

2) Technique. Should the sheets be 'treated' in some way prior to rolling? Toasting doesn't seem to help, and I've read they shouldn't be soaked or otherwise 'wetted'.

3) Other ingredients impact. That is, perhaps I'm not preparing my rice properly (too wet or too dry, although I think it's right and the texture seems right), so the nori doesn't do what it's supposed to because of it? Or, perhaps the rice temperature is too hot/cold, and therefore not sufficiently softening the sheet?

Any tips, advice or opinions are much welcomed ... the family has asked for it tonight! thanks everyone/kanga

I would try a different pack of nori first, stale nori can be quite chewy. Once a bag is opened it can get stale really fast so try to use a new bag. I never toast my nori for maki rolls but I do sometimes do it for hand rolls if I feel the nori isn't crispy enough as there is a much higher nori to rice ratio and chewy nori would make it almost impossible to eat.

For maki rolls I also find it best to wait about 30 minutes after rolling before cutting and eating.

For hand rolls I like my nori super crisp, almost to the point that it breaks when you fold it. These must be eaten immediately, basically as soon as you fold them so they don't lose that crispiness.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"