• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hard candy lollipops (A little help, please)

Felicia M Lazar

Hi guys,

I've become obsessed with the idea of making non-typical flavoured lollipops. Two obstacles: 1) I recently moved to Melbourne, Australia, and have no gear. Because I'm starting from scratch, I have the luxury (though not a luxurious budget) of buying what I really need from the get-go; so, what should I buy, and if there's anyone local reading, any suggestions for where ? 2) I have no prior experience in hard candy making. None. So I don't really know if I'm dreaming in technicolour here, but can I use liqueurs to flavour the suckers ? Spices ? Or is it only oils that I'm stuck with ?

Thanks much,

Felicia

Hi guys,

I've become obsessed with the idea of making non-typical flavoured lollipops. Two obstacles: 1) I recently moved to Melbourne, Australia, and have no gear. Because I'm starting from scratch, I have the luxury (though not a luxurious budget) of buying what I really need from the get-go; so, what should I buy, and if there's anyone local reading, any suggestions for where ? 2) I have no prior experience in hard candy making. None. So I don't really know if I'm dreaming in technicolour here, but can I use liqueurs to flavour the suckers ? Spices ? Or is it only oils that I'm stuck with ?

Thanks much,

Felicia

Quick reply is that you don't need anything except sugar and glucose or corn syrup. You can make hard tack lollipops on the stove or in the microwave. Oh, lollipop sticks are good too!

If you like, PM me and I'll send you my written set-up for making lollies. I make them by the gazillions...well, not quite...for the local libraries and such to sell as part of my donation to the community. I also have some good websites that I have found and others (Dave Hardy) have sent me.

Because I make them for children, I have never tried liqueurs. The alcohol would be burnt off...I don't know about the flavor.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A thermometer and good, even-heating pan are essential for consistent results.

I find hot pads to protect the hands while moving the pot around to be essential.

You'll need plenty of ice and a big bowl to shock your pan in, and to be prepared to ice down accidents.

Molds and a couple of silpats are also very useful.

Just in case, I would try to make these while someone else is home, just in case a terrible accident happens and you need to go to the emergency room.

You'll need plenty of ice and a big bowl to shock your pan in, and to be prepared to ice down accidents.

I have never shocked my pan...I would fear that such an action would cut down on the pouring time which is small enough. Why and how do you use this method? Thanks.

I am always interested in ways to extend the liquidity of the candy mass if possible to pour into the molds.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm also interested to hear about using alcohol in candymaking... i feel like the alcohol might interfere with the setting temperatures or dissolve it or something, but I don't know.

I don't know about alcohol in hard tac but if you find out anything, do let us know. Vodka & Grand Marnier lollipops! Love the concept. The alcohol would flash off and past that I don't know.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have never shocked my pan...I would fear that such an action would cut down on the pouring time which is small enough. Why and how do you use this method? Thanks.

I am always interested in ways to extend the liquidity of the candy mass if possible to pour into the molds.

I was taught this way at the Cordon Bleu, so, I've always just done it. Basically, once the sugar gets to temperature I take the pot off the flame and place it on ice for about ten seconds. This prevents the carryover cooking from getting too extreme and possibly caramelizing (if you want clear) or burning (if you want caramel) the sugar. To keep pour-ability, I have the luxury of a heat lamp and torch.

Once the sugar has been boiled, you can always re-heat it briefly on the stove or in a microwave, if it's too thick to pour.

To keep pour-ability, I have the luxury of a heat lamp and torch.

Once the sugar has been boiled, you can always re-heat it briefly on the stove or in a microwave, if it's too thick to pour.

Thanks for the information, Lisa.

When you say a heat lamp, do you mean some special kind of cooking lamp.

You learn something every day. If I understand correctly, when the sugar solution becomes too thick to pour, it will regain its liquid state and be suitable for pouring again??? I'll try it anyway. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

To keep pour-ability, I have the luxury of a heat lamp and torch.

Thanks for the information, Lisa.

When you say a heat lamp, do you mean some special kind of cooking lamp.

You learn something every day. If I understand correctly, when the sugar solution becomes too thick to pour, it will regain its liquid state and be suitable for pouring again??? I'll try it anyway. Thanks.

Any gooseneck lamp will work, you can buy a heat lamp bulb at a hardware store -the type that is sometimes used in bathrooms works ok. (they aren't cheap!) Pros use a setup similar to the warmers for french fries in fast food places. An adjustable gooseneck lamp means you can accurately aim the heat.

Once the sugar is cooked enough to make lollipops, there's no real downside to reheating. It will, heat up faster and tend to burn more quickly because there's no water left in the pot.

I have used a non-teflon electric skillet (yay thrift store!) to keep sugar warm and pourable. I am referring to the pan with a cord that has a thermostat on the cord. I was lucky enough to get a wok-shaped one for under $10 a few years back. Makes dipping cream puffs for croquembouche a snap!

And, I am serious about the safety warnings. Please set up a bowl of ice before starting, and have a plan for handling burns if they occur. Hot sugar is really nasty in that it will tunnel into your body and keep burning as it goes, unlike, say, boiling oil, which dissipates and tends to stay on the skin surface.

Thanks for the excellent information and advice, Lisa. Really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. :smile:

I haven't had a chance to get one of those bulbs yet, but the DH is into town tomorrow and I'll put it on the list.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have used a non-teflon electric skillet (yay thrift store!) to keep sugar warm and pourable. I am referring to the pan with a cord that has a thermostat on the cord. I was lucky enough to get a wok-shaped one for under $10 a few years back. Makes dipping cream puffs for croquembouche a snap!

The electric skillet idea is great, Lisa, thanks ! Before moving to Australia I had never noticed the things, though they're a really popular item here. We got one from my in-laws, though it is a non-stick; I've seen them everywhere, I'm sure I can pick up a non-Teflon one easily and inexpensively enough. And believe me, I take your safety warnings very seriously: when my husband and I were taking our professional baking course we saw first-hand what it did to a rather careless student.

As another Melbourne-ite ... some good places to shop include "The Essential Ingredient" and "Savour School" (both have websites with further info). There are two good cooking shops on Elizabeth Street in the city as well (one up near Vic Market, one further down). I'm a home cook so not sure about commercial stuff!

Slightly related to the lollypop topic ... I was making a caramel the other day ... in the toffee mix I had vanilla beans ... took them out and left them to set ... delicious toffee coated spiced vanilla beans! Yum!

As another Melbourne-ite ... some good places to shop include "The Essential Ingredient" and "Savour School" (both have websites with further info). There are two good cooking shops on Elizabeth Street in the city as well (one up near Vic Market, one further down). I'm a home cook so not sure about commercial stuff!

Slightly related to the lollypop topic ... I was making a caramel the other day ... in the toffee mix I had vanilla beans ... took them out and left them to set ... delicious toffee coated spiced vanilla beans! Yum!

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely go check them out this weekend. The toffee vanilla beans sound scrummy, I'll have to try that !

Here's an interesting lollipop website sent to me by dhardy.

http://www.tastespotting.com/search/lollipops/1

Remove the "S" from the site search to get a few more ideas :

http://www.tastespotting.com/search/lollipop/1

Thanks much, it's a cool site. I played around with the search a bit and found a few more on-topic lollipops.