• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chevre

Corinna

I'm serving a local chevre (fresh goat cheese) drizzled with honey (to be eaten with crackers) as an hors d'oeuvres with wine. When I enjoy this fantastic pairing, I don't mind so much what it looks like, but the presentation needs some work before I present it to friends. This is where I could use your expertise.

I'd like to be able to have these ready in advance, as much as possible, plated individually for each guest as they arrive.

The goat cheese comes in a log, but is very soft and usually ends up as a delicious, tangy blob. Ideally, I'd like to get med/thin rounds like I've seen in restaurants. Any techniques to duplicate this would be appreciated. I have tried chilling the logs and running the knife under hot water, which helps a little.

Secondly, the honey drizzle with a jar and a spoon is a mess. Would a squeeze bottle be better?

I would be grateful for any tips that you can share.

Thank you.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

You could mash the cheese so you can use a tiny (ice cream) scoop or even a melon baller (you'd need to spray it with pan spray so it releases - the scoop is easier); or just use two spoons to shape small balls rather than try for slicing into coins. I love goat cheese with honey so it wouldn't matter to me if the cheese was misshapen :biggrin:

The squeeze bottle is ideal for scribbling on the plate.

I'm far from skilled in presentation, but for improving the honey presentation, drizzle it from far higher than you would normally be inclined to and move slightly faster than you think is comfortable. You should be able to create a thin cross-hatch like pattern with a little practice. Try it on an empty plate a couple of times before doing the real thing.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please