• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hertog Jan, Bruges

Went to this place a few weeks ago and was stunned by how good it was. Nothing was below very good, and some courses were outright amazing. Some of the stronger courses of the night featured regional seafood, and a beautiful Lamb, which was prepared absolutely perfectly with tons of flavour and a great textural contrast between the meltingly tender meat, creamy fat, and thin crackling.

All in all, the food was very pretty, natural, and clean. Execution was faultless too, and service was polite, young, motivated, smiling and warm. The only weak point was the wine list, which needs a little more time I suppose. For the moment it features stuff from all over the world, which per se isn't a bad thing, but a lot is not yet mature.

I can only say that this was a real discovery, which I will revisit as quickly as possible.

• 4 years later...

Hertog Jan is one of the 50 best in the world http://www.theworlds50best.com/globalselection/Hertog-Jan.html

Ate there last night and they deserve it. Here is my meal https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=hertog&sort=relevance&user_id=35237098292%40N01

15180743338_dc3bfbfbc1_s.jpgred beet/ raspberry/goose liver by Box and Arrow, on Flickr

Edited by et alors (log)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit