• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus hunting

• 2 years later...

Is it my imagination or is the English asparagus particularly good this year? The bunches we have tried (from Tescos and Sainsburys) have been excellent as have the portions tried in various restaurants (ranging from high end to our local 'gastropub'). It seems to have even more flavour than usual this year.

Funnily enough, we were saying the opposite, only the other day. That said, we've been away for a few weeks and havnt eaten as much as usual, so w emay have just been unlucky.

John Hartley

I think its probably one of those things these days best eaten in Jersey, supplied by a local trusted farmer. The stuff I've had from supermarkets doesn't seem to justify the massive price tag.

That's because the supermarket ones are pre washed and not covered in loam and it takes all the flavour away http://forums.egulle...ls#entry1806630

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.