• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus hunting

Just want to pass on a tip- a recent search for some just-pulled asparagus in the Evesham area we stumbled on Hiller's Farm Shop http://www.hillers.co.uk/

This place has great asparagus from a mile away and has an exemplary vegetable selection, with the local stuff coming from a radius of about 5 miles. Some lovely lettuces, cabbage, spinach, tomatoes etc. on offer

Meat from the adjourning Ragley Estate, not tried it yet but the beef is 28 days - Hereford/Charolais/Limousin cross - looked good

It also has a wet fish counter with daily deliveries

Plus a miniature steam railway on site!

Seriously impressed with this place, exactly how a farm shop should be.

Edited by nickloman (log)

Interesting they're getting asparagus. There was a little item in the paper yesterday saying that, because of the bad weather, they werent expecting it to be available until 1/5.

Evesham's a good area for farm shop "finds". I seem to recall there is (or at least, was) a couple of crackers along the road from the town to the M5. Mainly in season veg, of course, but some absolutely belting genuine home-made pickles and chutnies.

John Hartley

I presume it has been helped along with a polytunnel or some such but seems to be generally available now - I even got some from Sainsbury's last weekend, origin listed as Staffs, but it wasn't nearly as good as this was.

Plenty of 'Asum-grass' around ( Evesham Asparagus to non-yokels )...certainly in the Vale/Bredon area anyway..

Recently had some excellent Birlingham asparagus at the estimable Belle-House restaurant in Pershore...not suprising really, one of Europes leading horticultaral colleges is just up the road from Belle House in Pensham..

Saw my first "grass" today - in the Lakes District. Not local, of course. Came from the Chinn family who farm near Hay on Wye (I think) - and who were in the press a year or so back. The story was that they grow under polytunnels to get the earlier crop.

Now then, first Jersey Royals anyone?

John Hartley

Since I posted, Mrs H has been to Sainsbury's - got both asparagus and Jersey Royals. And at a pretty good price.

I'm sure the memory must be fading (and I say this every year) but Jerseys just don't taste like they used to.

John Hartley

Within the EU, the Jersey Royal has Protected Designation of Origin status so will always be referred to as such (not least as the sport was first raised in Jersey in 1880). The actual potato is available elsewhere as "International Kidney".

As you'll have gathered, along with asparagus, it's a harbinger of spring here.

John Hartley

Lovely stuff. I was just in Waitrose and saw Hampshire asparagus next to Thailand asparagus and on the opposite shelf there were Heart of England asparagus. What's wrong with supermarket buyers?!

In my local Waitrose they have three differently labelled 'Hampshire' asparaguses, all looking identical, all different prices per kilo, all next to Peruvian and Thai stuff, again at different prices.

Just want to pass on a tip- a recent search for some just-pulled asparagus in the Evesham area we stumbled on Hiller's Farm Shop http://www.hillers.co.uk/

Cheers for the tip fella. I popped in on my way home from work yesterday and picked up some lovely asparagus. It is as you say exactly what a farm shop should be like, great stuff. Ordered a whole Tamworth pig for next week too, £2.50 per kilo is comparable to what i've been getting from my usual supplier, so we'll see what the quality is like.

You need to shop at Aldi. I bought 200g of top quality Hereford asparagus on Thursday for 99p. It was lovely. :wub:

Even cheap asparagus wouldn't get me in Aldi! I have two Waitroses nearby, they'll do me just fine thank you :)

Cheers for the tip fella. I popped in on my way home from work yesterday and picked up some lovely asparagus. It is as you say exactly what a farm shop should be like, great stuff. Ordered a whole Tamworth pig for next week too, £2.50 per kilo is comparable to what i've been getting from my usual supplier, so we'll see what the quality is like.

No problems! Did you go on the miniature railway :)

Have you been here? http://www.revillsfarmshop.co.uk/ This also looks good. Not tried it yet.

http://www.clivesfruitfarm.co.uk/ were selling some fantastic (for England) tomatoes in Worcester yesterday, and some very decent asparagus. Might have to try their PYO.