• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Bag Sizes

pyrguy

Anybody else notice that over the last couple of months coffee companies have cut the weight if their product yet again.

I buy three or so 'pounds' at a time. The last coffee I bought weighed 12 ounces. The bags before that were 13 ounces. Today the bags weighed 11 ounces.

What is going on?????

Coffee is not the only thing this is happening to. We've had several threads in shrinking packages.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

Most typical bag sizes around here are 340 grams and 450 grams. Depending upon the conversion used (28 grams/ounce or 30 grams/ounce), the 340 gram bag will be either 12 or 11 ounces.

This is not a new phenomenon. Several years ago (i.e., shortly after Canada converted from Imperial to Metric measures), the mainstream coffee companies began marketing a 340 gram package at the same price as the 1 lb bag, in grocery stories.

Karen Dar Woon

This is the way these companies have been raising their prices for quite some time without telling you. Less product for the same price,

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

I don't know exactly how long I've been buying coffee in 12-ounce bags, but it's got to be at least 7 or 8 years. I think most of the independent roasters have been selling in this package for quite a while now--it's not new.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Yes I know the 12 or 13 ounce bag is not new. It is still shrinking. The stores are now selling 11 ounce bags.

Ice cream is now in 1.5 quart containers instead of the 2 quarts we grew up with. I guess it ticks me off that packaging is shrinking.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.