• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco in Australia

AFAIK, there is only the one Costco, in Melbourne. But I think that makes it a good time to start a discussion. I have only been once, and was a bit underwhelmed but it was worth while and I will go back. It had been a long time since I heard so many American accents, too :smile:

My impressions: The wine selection was limited, the spirits very limited and didn't seem to be much of a bargain. Got some good antipasti (I tossed it with pasta and the whole thing disappeared :shock:). The pesto was ok and a good value.

The pork hot-dogs in the food court weren't as good as the US beef ones, no kraut, no brown mustard, no brown mustard, and more expensive.

I really missed Kirkland Japanese green teabags, brown rice in big bags, time release niacin, and pie.

Anyone else been? Impressions?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 1 month later...

We're hoping for the Costco to open in Sydney soon. The site in Granville has apparently been picked, rejected and picked again. There's a HUGE thread in the vogue forums on the subject.

• 4 months later...

Made a run down to Melbourne Costco. Highlights were ITOEN green tea bags, a large box of Anzac bisquits, pumpkin pie, way more raw sugar than I can use, tumeric, frozen samosas, a roast chicken for comfort food, Wild Turkey bourbon, and Inner Circle Green rum. The Wild Turkey was only 43% alcohol but it was a liter bottle and the Inner Circle price was much better than Dan Murphy's. Of course I bought a lot of other food & non-food items.

The best things I didn't buy: A huge jar of Major Gray's Mango Chutney and an oversize Esky (cooler) with all-terrain wheels.

The store seems to be hitting their stride. They should sell the Costco-size tote bags though since they don't have the routine of using the shipping cartons. Glad we brought ours.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just saw news about Costco opening in Canberra! It'll be good to have one so close....

That's good news. I hope with more stores, they will be able to bring in more items and at better prices. Now if the Aussie $ doesn't crash...

• 1 month later...

Looks like Sydney and Canberra Costco will be open soon. They've set up offices for folks to sign up for memberships at both locations. They're hiring as well. The sooner they open, the better!

I saw on TV that Costco is planning on 9 stores in Australia including a couple in Brisbane and more Sidney Suburbs. I'm not sure if they were looking at more in Melbourne.

The commentators were speculating on how this would affect Woolies and Coles. I can't see it having a huge impact on them but any increased competition would be good IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Highlights from the Melbourne store for me have been san pellegrino chinotto, Frozen Samosas, Borg's Pastizzi, Pickled Artichokes, Chocolate Wafer Tubes.

We make bi-monthly trips...

Headed over to Canberra Costco's membership office today. I was told that Canberra Costco is scheduled to open July 22 and the Sydney branch the day after. I hope they stick to that schedule!

• 3 months later...

Went to the Canberra opening this morning and I'm quite happy with it. There are many tempting items like wagyu beef (really nice marbling on some of them), Jamon Serrano, whole leg of San Daniele prosciutto, etc. I promptly picked up a Kitchen Aid food processor right by the front entrance! :smile:

You can check out some pics on my blog: http://www.canberrafoodies.com/2011/07/21/costco-canberra-opening-day/

• 4 months later...

Docklands Costco 2 weeks before Christmas isn't to be recommended but I braved the crowds. Mostly bought North American supplies like maple syrup, pumpkin pie, salsa, craisins. I bought some Yarra Valley goat cheese for the partner. I'm not much for goat cheese but I think this is pretty nice and goes well with the pumpkin ravioli I picked up.