• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade sesame paste

Ce'nedra

Depends how much you want to make, the consistency you're looking for and what you'll use it for.

When I want some for Mediterranean style applications, eg. tahini, I just toast sesame seeds and then food processor them with olive oil till it's smooth.

If I'm using them for Japanese recipes, like gomae spinach, I just mortar and pestle them with a tiny bit of soy sauce to moisten, but leave them quite grainy, i.e. not so smooth.

If you're looking for a large amount, and then preserving them somehow..I'd probably food processor/blender them with peanut or olive oil and then top in the jar with another layer of oil to seal but keep it in the fridge and use it quickly as it goes rancid pretty fast.

What about using sesame oil...the untoasted clear kind... in the food processor?

Do you mean sesame oil + toasted sesame seeds? I think I may be giving this one a go...only problem is I've got no idea about the ratio.

From Rarerollingobject"When I want some for Mediterranean style applications, eg. tahini, I just toast sesame seeds and then food processor them with olive oil till it's smooth."

I would do the same only with sesame oil. Actually...it might be interesting to try it also with the toasted Asian sesame oil also

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.