• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kingston, Ontario

Darienne

Have to go to Kingston a few times in the next couple of months and I don't know the city really at all.

But I thought, well, maybe there is something fascinating to look at and maybe buy in Kingston in the realm of food: baking and candy-making supplies, chocolate, kitchen stuff, cheeses, exotic ingredients, whatever. (We live outside Peterborough where there is a dearth of exotic...)

Can I buy a Montreal-style bagel there?

All suggestions considered. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks mkayahara,

It all seemed a bit familiar and then the Chez Piggy connection appeared. I ate at Chez Piggy's so many years ago that I cannot even remember when it was.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Cooke's, Pan Cancho and Pasta Genova are all downtown and are all worth a visit.

I haven't lived there in seven years yet those three were tops on my list. Virgil's focaccia at Past Genoa is a personal fave. Go to Luke's for dinner -- I only know his parents' excellent fare, but apparently the apple hasn't dropped far. Martin, would you agree?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

In Kingston, you can buy St-Viateur bagels at the supermarket!

Yes!!

We'll also try Cooke's. Less interested in the eating out than buying stuff to take back home. Not too good at eating much on the road.

Oh, except for the bagels. But right out of the oven into my mouth. Have this life-long obsession with Montreal bagels.

Wait....what supermarket, please?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.