• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Chantilly

GNV//PDX

I have never tried it with nibs, but it should work. Obviously, choose a good type that you like, and crush them to break them down a bit, you want as much surface area as possible since they are dense. (unlike fruit or flower petals which are very permeable)

I made some chocolate chantilly cream today, and it all got stuck in the isi whip. Did I shake it too much?

If you had any bits of chocolate that didn't completely melt, they'll plug it up. Other than that, I'm not sure. I made it (and variations of it) a few years ago just to be sure I could and haven't done it since but I didn't use a cream whipper to do it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ok, I went on a chocolate expedition. Bournville turns out to be Rs.80 for 80g!!!!! Plus I looked at the packet and it says it's only 44% cocoa content which sounds pretty crap, so I left that. I did see another option today in the form of "Choco Swiss Cacao Premium Dark Chocolate". I immediately bought it and upon getting home I regretted it even more immediately. First of all I thought it was 120g which made me feel slightly better about paying Rs.90 (still cheaper than the bourneville when you go gram for gram!) but confusingly there are two labels on the packet and one of them says it is just 60g! Plus it doesn't list the cocoa content anywhere on the packet.

In addition to this entirely stupid development, I remembered that I don't have a scale with me. All the recipes I have found on google seem pretty crazily precise so that could be a problem. And I don't have a whisk. Hell, I don't even have a fork! All in all, I am annoyed, and I may now go and eat 60-120g of chocolate (of undetermined cocoa content) to make myself feel better.

I made some chocolate chantilly cream today, and it all got stuck in the isi whip. Did I shake it too much?

If you had any bits of chocolate that didn't completely melt, they'll plug it up. Other than that, I'm not sure. I made it (and variations of it) a few years ago just to be sure I could and haven't done it since but I didn't use a cream whipper to do it.

The mousse whipped up fine. The problem was that the foamed mousse was all in the ISI whip instead of going out the nozzle as originally intended. Very frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made the Chantilly Cream recipe. 'The Best Chocolate Mousse of Your Life in Under 5 Minutes, Herve This and Heston Blumenthal. I can't believe it. It's incredible. It blows me away with its creamy deliciousness. I think I'm in love. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 6 months later...

has any one else played around with milk chocolate or multiple types of fat?

I've been finding that the milk chocolate ive been using and one incident with groundnut oil (id run out of chocolate and wanted to at least work out whether the fat ratio was the culprit :P) that without adding additional lecithin into the mix it stays as two seperate emulsions.

Im assuming the extra lecithin, which the chocolate apparantly lacks, provides a more rigid support structure which prevents the fats from clumping, so to speak, but i was just wondering if anyone else knows of a more specific reason, since im by no means sure?

As an extra question, is the minimum fat ratio for this influenced by the fact that the cocoa butter sets at cold temperatures? it seems to me like that would affect this, and better to ask than just assume the ratios work if i need to do something else like this in a hurry