• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Olive Pate

Kerouac1964

Black Olive Pâté

Ingredients

1/2 medium-size bulb garlic (about 6 to 7 cloves), not peeled

1/2 pound ripe Brie or Fontina cheese, cut in 1-inch cubes

1 cup oil-cured Mediterranean or Greek black olives, pitted

1/4 cup olive oil (no substitute)

Italian bread or raw zucchini slices

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Wrap garlic in aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes; unwrap and cool to room temperature. Squeeze each clove at root end, popping out soft garlic pulp. Heat cheese in double boiler top over just-simmering water until melted, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, puree garlic and olives with oil by buzzing 10 to 15 seconds in an electric blender at high speed or in a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade. Add melted cheese and buzz 5 to 10 seconds longer. Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours. Let pâté stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes, then serve as a spread for chunks of Italian bread or slices of raw zucchini.

Yield: 1-1/2 cups

Per serving: 70 calories; 10 mg cholesterol; 245 mg sodium.

--------------------------

Black Olive Pate

Ingredients

8oz large black olives

8oz unsalted butter

chives, finely chopped

fennel, finely chopped

parsley, finely chopped

chervil, finely chopped

a little olive oil

Method

Remove stones from the olives. Put the olives in a blender with a little olive oil. Blend until smooth. Soften the butter and blend into the olive paste. Add the herbs and blend for a few more seconds. Put in an attractive dish and chill for a few hours. Serve with pitta bread, crudities etc.

----------------------------------------------

The reason for my recipe search was I had purchased a jar of black olive pate recently and enjoyed its contents. Here is my product review:

Label:

Prodotto D'Italia

Alessi Olive Pate

Pureed Black Olives

WITH Extra VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

"Poor Man's Caviar"

Packed in ITALY for: VIGO IMPORTING CO., TAMPA, FL 33614

Manufactured in Italy by Alessi

Net wt pkg: 4.5 oz jar

Serving size: 2 Tblsp. (50g)

Calories: 187

Total Fat: 19g

saturated fat:3g

Cholesterol: 0mg

Sodium: 817mg

Total Carbohydrate: 2.7g

Dietary Fiber: 1.4g

Sugars: 2.7g

Protein: 1.0g

Ingredients: Black Olives, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt.

Tasting notes: I've already used other Alessi products. They make a less expensive balsalmic vinegar that I use on occasion, so when I spied their pate my expectations were high that it too would be a good everyday gourmet item. I wasn't disappointed. I sampled the pate on crackers and it

had a lovely rich flavor with the succulent ripe olives. The oil is very much

a part of the experience. The salt isn't overbearing, just the right

amount toaccent the food. This would be lovely with cheese or bread as well. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.

From the ingredient list, I started to wonder if it wouldn't even be easy to make from scratch, hence my search for a few recipes. I hope everyone enjoys them!! :smile:

Thanks for posting these!

I don't know that I have had olive pate. I normally eat/make tapenade, which is simpler than the recipes above. (Just olives, garlic, anchovies, etc.--no binders like butter or cheese.)

Can you describe the desired consistency a bit? How does it compare to tapenade?

Thanks!

Those look wonderful, as well as the good tip for the purchased product.

Thanks for taking the time to post them. Darn nice of you. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The consistency of the Black Olive Pate that I purchased is very minced with just a bit of loose olive oil that leeches out after about 4 sec of rest. If spreading on a cracker leave a bare rim for the oil to soak . they did take on a sort of tiny oval shape, hence the nickname "poor man's caviar".

I wonder if the jarred stuff is perhaps a simple tapenade-type preparation similar to this one on Epicurious: Tapenade

I once saw Alice Waters making a green olive tapenade on Julia Child's show. She used green olives (maybe Lucques?) and chopped them all be hand, leaving them in rather large pieces, and adding a bit of congac at the end. I have to track down the recipe because it looked spectacular.

I have had a very delicious mix made of half olive paste and half dijon mustard. It is great on sandwiches, or with bread and cheese--the flavor is strong. Kerouac64, if you still have more of you jarred pate, you could try that out.

mixmaster b --

Funny you should mention the black olive pate and Djion mustard pairing, as that was my last experiment before my jar ran out! LOL!

I smeared a bit of mustard on my crackers, then placed a 1/2 tsp of the pate on top of it. Very delicious!!