• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carpano Antica canisters

Dave the Cook

I've got three of them now. I'd been throwing them away, but it occurred to me that they might be in some way useful. Unfortunately, no purpose has presented itself. So in the spirit of "The Crown Royal Purple Bag" topic, I appeal to the membership: is there an afterlife for CAF cans?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Since they're a bit oversized to handle the liter bottles... take the canisters, throw a few packing peanuts in the bottom and a little bubble wrap and bring them when you travel. If you find a bottle you want to lug back in your suitcase, use the bubble wrap, put it in the canister and you've got a little armored shipping container.

Avery Glasser

Bittermens, Inc. - Producers of Bittermens Bitters & Extracts

Bittermens Spirits, Inc. - Purveyors of Small Batch Bitter Liqueurs

Vendetta Spirits, LLC. - Nano-Importer of Hand-Produced Spirits

Since they're a bit oversized to handle the liter bottles... take the canisters, throw a few packing peanuts in the bottom and a little bubble wrap and bring them when you travel. If you find a bottle you want to lug back in your suitcase, use the bubble wrap, put it in the canister and you've got a little armored shipping container.

Wow. This is genius. The canister would also hold in the liquid in case it breaks, though you could also bring a ziploc bag to be safe.

Wow. This is genius. The canister would also hold in the liquid in case it breaks, though you could also bring a ziploc bag to be safe.

I agree. What I like about the idea is that it reserves space for found spirits, unless you stuff it with underwear and socks on the outbound leg, in which case you're on your own.

But even a two-gallon bag won't enclose the canister. Assuming you have a standard 750ml bottle: bag it, then put it in the can. Seal the can with duct tape -- belt and suspenders.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

TGTTONGETK.

To good to throw out, not good enough to keep. I hate extravagant packaging for items that aren't stored in the package. They just clutter the house, yet it bugs me to throw them out.

While I used the Booker's wooden carton to start a fire this winter, I had no use for the Carpano tin. Now cardboard scotch tubes make great guinea pig tunnels for my daughter's swine....

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

This is an odd coincidence. Just last weekend I visited a friend and was admiring a row of containers in which she has stored several varieties/types of long pasta - seven or eight kinds - in these nicely decorated tall canisters, labeled with P-Touch tapes with gold on black lettering.

I didn't look very closely at them and didn't ask about them, assuming they were simply made for the purpose to which she had put them.

Now, while reading this topic, I realize that I have seen the container before, at the only up-market liquor store in my area.

So there is one use to which they can be put, assuming you use a lot of spagetti, linguini, (different sizes) as well as udon noodles, spinach noodles, and I can't recall the others, except there was one made from spelt.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've thought about making a lampshade or sconce cover out of them to display near the home bar, but given I've never made a lampshade or sconce cover I allow them to continue cluttering my storage area, for the time being at least.

Dancing on the bar with a Carpano Antica lampshade on your head is the epitome of class.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 1 year later...

In one of the greatest things to happen to the civilized world, Antica will now be available in 375 ml bottles.

Maybe that'll encourage the LCBO to finally decide to bring it in. There are several things they only carry in the 375 ml version for some reason (green and yellow chartreuse for example).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In one of the greatest things to happen to the civilized world, Antica will now be available in 375 ml bottles.

I wonder if we will get these in England. We don't even get M&R in 375.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

This is good news. I hope they sell the small bottles in Minnesota, although I can't complain too much about the big bottles. Those seem to keep real well in the refrigerator.

I can only hope that Boissiere finally does the same. Having to fuss with the liter bottles of their dry vermouth is the prickly bur in the side of my martini-loving existence.

I hope they will carry this size in Dallas. I have bought the one liter bottle before. it was awesome. Of course, I was forced to have several glasses of this stuff on the rocks. Not that that is a bad thing. But getting it in a smaller bottle would be nice.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 weeks later...

I have two the 1.75ML Tangueray canisters that I use to support an auxiliary liquor shelf behind my bar. I've also got a few CAF cannisters which, like everyone else, I've yet to figure out what to do with.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Antica tins have functioned as my tip jar for the last several years. I like the way they look next to the cash register. Way more elegant than a pint glass and they hold more.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Antica tins have functioned as my tip jar for the last several years. I like the way they look next to the cash register. Way more elegant than a pint glass and they hold more.

And I've doubt the extra capacity is much needed when you're behind the stick! :wink:

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

And I've doubt the extra capacity is much needed when you're behind the stick! :wink:

NO doubt! Should read NO DOUBT! (damn) :blush:

Mike