• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking smoker/grill setup recommendations

chappie

48 minutes ago, rrigreid said:

I will on Monday be purchasing an offset smoker. Charcoal will be the fuel however I am tossed up on vertical vs horizontal smokers. The main purpose for a vertical smoker would be to hang ribs, chicken etc. Cost would be the same and cooking area is about the same. Is a vertical smoker worth it for hanging meats or are horizontal smokers preferred. Any feedback would be appreciated. I have 2 in both styles picked out.

Don't think many fish can be hung. 

Can you get one with an option for cold smoke?

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Er, I don't know about where you are, but in my hometown in Scotland, pretty much all fish is hung to be smoked. Salmon, cod, herring, haddock, etc

Lost of smaller seafood, my friend

I have two smokers. An offset side firebox where I use wood fired. A small upright using chips. Can accommodate hanging or easily cold smoked cheeses, salmon. 

The side firebox is the most versatile. I can grill, smoke, and simmer stock and my sauces/bbq sauces one the flat surface of the fire box on top. Put a dozen ears of fresh corn on the cooler end while smoking ribs. Early in the smoking I can smoke salmon, shrimp/scallops for an early appetizer .Or just grill directly on the fire grate in the firebox with hot coals for burgers. No smoking. I'm old school. Do not want bells and whistle electronic apps.