• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nota Bene vs Splendido

sadistick

Interesting topic - Lee's old haunt vs his new one.

Planning an upcoming dinner and given we were at Scaramouche not so long ago, we wanted to go somewhere else.

In terms of the better restaurants this city has to offer, these two come to mind.

The question is, how do they compare? I have been to both (though not to Splendido of new) so some thoughts on the subject would be helpful.

Any other suggestions for restaurants for this meal would also be appreciated.

what is the dinner for? What types of people are attending? What kind of atmosphere are you after?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

For a birthday, I'd choose Splendido - a little more elegant.

Food is excellent at both, but the atmosphere at Nota Bene is more frantic. It's a larger room and you get more turnover, so more interruptions.

On repeat visits to both, I've also found the menu at Nota Bene to be more stable, so there's not as much excitement - but both have great service and great food.

I'm going to Nota Bene for the first time a week from today for an early dinner before a concert. Any suggestions on what to order (and what not to order). I've read rave reviews of the duck salad appetizer and the boudin noir tart, but I'm reluctant to try the latter because I don't want to over-eat before the concert.

Edited by NorthernExposure (log)

I don't actually think the boudin noir tart is on the menu any more, sadly.

However, I do really enjoy their pasta + morel + pea dish they do. Always tasty, especially if the pasta is papardelle (my personal favourite)! French style onion rings are tasty and good to share. The pulled crab and buckwheat pasta wasn't my favourite, but my DC's really enjoyed it.

I had wanted to order the Local burrata. It's not as nice as Italian burrata, but I'm sure it was tasty anyway. Plus, it came with asparagus.

I also enjoyed their salted caramels for dessert.

Ramps are in season, so if they have that on the menu, you may wish to try that.

If you go for a drink, I'm rather fond of the Sauternes Cask Glenmorangie scotch. Tasty stuff.

I don't have my recent vist up, but I have past ones in my flickr.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I find the food at Nota Bene decent, but ordinary and somewhat boring. Nota Bene isn't a restaurant where I would choose to dine on my own, or for a special occasion, unless I was dining with people with conservative palates. I wouldn't describe anything I've eaten at Nota Bene as excellent.

I'd go to Splendido for a birthday dinner.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

I find the food at Nota Bene decent, but ordinary and somewhat boring. Nota Bene isn't a restaurant where I would choose to dine on my own, or for a special occasion, unless I was dining with people with conservative palates. I wouldn't describe anything I've eaten at Nota Bene as excellent.

I'd go to Splendido for a birthday dinner.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. Nota Bene underpromises and hits the mark. Wines, food, and service are good, but that doesn't cut it in Toronto at this price point or pedigree.