• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoof + Fin

Diner Girl

Hoof + Fin opened in the old Gayle space on Third Street, south of South Street. The owners are Deanna and Lucas Manteca (Quahog's in Stone Harbor, NJ) and the chef is Carlos Barroz (also of Quahog's, and a few places in NY).

Has anyone been?

I have! I've been twice last month, in fact, and it was lovely. Menu is ambitious, with a section of "pick your protein" to be grilled, as well as starters and mains as well as sides.

The tuna ceviche with pineapple is one the most delicious things ever. It was a special the first time I went at the beginning of March, and was on the regular menu by the end of the month when I went the second time.

Staff is friendly and helpful and gave me some good travel tips prior to my trip to Argentina this month. Extra points for that!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We got there last night. It was not bad, by any means, the appetizers were particularly interesting - with particular mention to the melted-cheese-dish-that-reminds-me-of-xochitl-though-it-was-made-with-a-baby-provolone. Here comes the but: I'm sick and tired of getting BRONZINO (conk!) as a whole fish. Yes, it's great - in the Med, wild caught, over 1kg, swimming <24hours before the grill. Philadelphia is on the other side of an ocean. There are lots of fish. They can come from much closer. They are tasty. And nowhere to be seen. The brOnzino was OK, though. The asado 'mixed grill' I had was.. not bad, but for what should be their piece de resistance, it was just.. not bad. The chorizo sausage was an italian sausage overloaded with fennel, the pork matambre was... a chunk of loin (?!?), the rest was good but great lies elsewhere, even in grilled foods. The tres leche pastel for dessert was lacking the dulce de leche (a cardinal sin!). It was good, mind, just... good.