• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commander's Palace Seafood Gumbo - it's not in the cookbook

After many years of enjoying the Commander's Place cookbooks, I was got lucky and was able to eat there. The seafood gumbo, which was the gumbo de jour when I went, is not the gumbo in their cookbooks. It was richer, perhaps with either double stock or a touch of booze. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Big thanks!

Paul

• 7 months later...

When I make seafood gumbo, I always first make a stock from the shrimp heads and shells and frozen crabs. If I'm making gumbo with three pounds of shrimp, I put all the heads (important) and shells in a pot with six thawed (purchased frozen) crabs. I add just enough water to cover and simmer for half an hour or so. After I add the stock to the gumbo pot, I add another six whole crabs and let them simmer in the pot until it's ready, which is usually a few hours. I add a lot of stock and cook it down for a long time, which really makes for a strong-tasting pot of gumbo. Try that and I don't think you'll be disappointed.