• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opened Boxes of Dried Pasta ?

Ono Loa

So i got to thinking about all the boxes of dried pasta that i have open at the same time for the use of different shapes for different condiments.

how many do you have open at the same time? i use to only open 2 but now it seems that i have about 5 open.... all different kinds. from penne to squid ink linguine.

is this a bad idea? i dont want anything to go bad on me but i eat pasta every day and usually like something different every few days.

so what about you? how many different kinds do you have open at the same time? and how many different shapes do you have in your pantry. open or not?

Edited by Ono Loa (log)

Ha! This is timely. I was just looking at my shelf and shaking my head last night. I have 1 bag and 3 half boxes of penne, two half boxes of macaroni, 2 half bags of orzo, and a bag of caserecci. I also have lasagna noodles in the freezer. Not a huge variety of shapes, but every time I decide to make pasta and pick up ingredients on my way home, I forget that I already have a ton and will buy more. I usually think to myself, yes, I know I have a couple opened boxes, but together will they add up to enough? I'd better get more just in case...

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Timely for me, too, as well. I would love to know how, and if, dried pasta goes bad. I swear I have at least 5 boxes or bags open at once, since I like a variety as well.

I'm not counting the pasta that's being stored in glass containers on the counter. :rolleyes:

ETA: In the cupboard, one half box each of:

cavatelli

fusilli

large shells

medium shells

small elbow macaroni

farfalle

thin spaghetti

About half a box each, in glass:

fettucini

linguini

angel hair

I llllllllllloooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvve pasta.

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V

:laugh:

Do you want to know how many boxes of pasta we keep open in Italy at one time :laugh: The only time I usually keep under control the quantity of pasta (even if the boxes are closed) is in the summer when it's really hot and you have flour/rice/pulses in the cupboard and if you have flour spoiling or rice then even if you keep in jars you might end up throwing everything out.

I have boxes of pasta open for very long time in glass jars.

Oh My

I only have one open box of ditalini in the cabinet right now but this just reminded me of a biological disaster under my kitchen table.

I made lasagna for Easter and had 4 noodles leftover. They were in the colander in the pot, with the lid on, under the kitchen table, where I stuffed the pot to take apart and clean the stove, 1 week ago.

Where is that bottle of bleach?

Usually we eat a whole box at a time...the ditalini went in soup

oh lord

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Without getting up and going to the cupboard.

I have 1/2 box orzo, 1/2 bag elbow macaroni, 1/2 bag egg noodles, 1/4 bag of little lasagna strips that I had never encountered but my daughter found them and brought them home.

Half a bag of cartwheel pasta, 1/2 pint jar of ditalini, 3/4 jar of acini di pepe and a fullbag of bucattini and another of farfalle.

I would have a bag of gemelli but the store here has stopped carrying it.

As you can see we love pasta and the only one that I wouldn't use is a decorative jar of tri-colored rotini that has been sitting on the fridge for at least five years.

There's 4 of us, so we usually eat a box of pasta at a clip, with little to no leftovers, so I cook a box at a time. I think I have half a bag of egg noodles floating around, though, from when I made quick chicken noodle soup for two, for lunch a while back.

Do you want to know how many boxes of pasta we keep open in Italy at one time :laugh: The only time I usually keep under control the quantity of pasta (even if the boxes are closed) is in the summer when it's really hot and you have flour/rice/pulses in the cupboard and if you have flour spoiling or rice then even if you keep in jars you might end up throwing everything out.

Hey Franci ! i would love to know more about how many boxes of pasta people have open at one time in Italy.... and what shapes? LOL

i would think LOTS of boxes for the variety. tell me more....

Also, can dried pasta go "bad"? Inquiring minds want to know...

i have had some pasta over the years that i didnt get to for a long time and i did notice the flavor was a bit off.

in fact.... on some of the artisan italian pasta's there is actually a a use by date. when i did get round to eating that pasta.... it was LONG after the date and it wasnt too good.

so.... that was my experience.

so i think....maybe it does go bad after a time. but that also might have alot to do with storage too. if its airtight and in a cool place...maybe that makes a difference on the shelf life.

Zero,,,I always cook the whole box of whatever, and freeze the excess in plastic bags for another day...At this altitude it saves lots of time to just thaw in hot tap water before use...

Bud

Zero,,,I always cook the whole box of whatever, and freeze the excess in plastic bags for another day...At this altitude it saves lots of time to just thaw in hot tap water before use...

Bud

at what altitude Bud?

I dunno -- maybe eight? There are only two of us, we like the variety of shapes, and as far as I've noticed, opened boxes have a very long shelf life.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hey Franci ! i would love to know more about how many boxes of pasta people have open at one time in Italy.... and what shapes? LOL

Well, technically I'm an Italian living in Monaco and I don't eat as much pasta as my parents do. But I have open at the moment:

spaghettoni, linguine, spaghetti, bucatini, mezze penne, torciglioni, filini, grattini, ditaloni rigati, gnocchi sardi, tagliatelle, fusilli bucati corti and paccheri. Wow, I didn't think I had so much :biggrin:

Bud

at what altitude Bud?

near 6000 feet, just doing regular spaghetti takes upwards of 20 minutes...water boils at 202ºor so , depending on the barometric pressure..

Bud

Well, technically I'm an Italian living in Monaco and I don't eat as much pasta as my parents do. But I have open at the moment:

spaghettoni, linguine, spaghetti, bucatini, mezze penne, torciglioni, filini, grattini, ditaloni rigati, gnocchi sardi, tagliatelle, fusilli bucati corti and paccheri. Wow, I didn't think I had so much :biggrin:

FRANCI ! you're my hero ! thats AMAZING ! and cant say as i even recognize all those shapes. LOL

now i dont feel so bad about having so many open. i do eat it every day for lunch and it seems that i use all

the boxes i have open on a rotating basis. thanks for posting that.

how much pasta do your parents eat then? at every meal? or just once a day?

Edited by heidih
fix quote tags (log)