• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! I need New York style pizza in Kansas City!

ellevan

My family is craving authentic Mew York style pizza and I have had no luck thus far. I need suggestions! Grinders isn't that great....it's not bad just not what it is hyped to be, I have heard decent things about Pizza 51 (across from UMKC) has anyone tried it? Again I need your suggestions! Thanks!

D'Bronx can be good if you tell them exactly what you want. For me that means use a little less sauce, half of the cheese, cook it about two minutes longer, and don't sprinkle it with dried oregano when it comes out. Personally though, I hate being that guy, so I don't go there anymore for pizza.

715 in Lawrence was serving beautiful looking pizza when I was there, but we had already ordered a lot of food and didn't try it that night. It looks more Neapolitan than NY, but I am really excited to try it next time I'm out that way.

I would also try the other crossroads pizza places (the Art of Pizza and Pizzabella, both on Baltimore) if you haven't already, and maybe Bella Napoli in Brookside, but I'd say they're comparable to Grinders so they may not be what you're looking for.

Good luck.

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

D'Bronx can be good if you tell them exactly what you want. For me that means use a little less sauce, half of the cheese, cook it about two minutes longer, and don't sprinkle it with dried oregano when it comes out. Personally though, I hate being that guy, so I don't go there anymore for pizza.

715 in Lawrence was serving beautiful looking pizza when I was there, but we had already ordered a lot of food and didn't try it that night. It looks more Neapolitan than NY, but I am really excited to try it next time I'm out that way.

I would also try the other crossroads pizza places (the Art of Pizza and Pizzabella, both on Baltimore) if you haven't already, and maybe Bella Napoli in Brookside, but I'd say they're comparable to Grinders so they may not be what you're looking for.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I live really close to Bella Napoli and I have never been there! I have passed there many times and three out of those many times I have seen Funkhouser standing outside, so I guess I was afraid of running into him hah. I will try and make it to Lawrence although to be honest I do not go there often, but now I have a reason to!

P.S.

My Mother in Law is from Naples and she has ruined me when it comes to finding good pizza.