• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Beer

bunny

• 1 month later...
Kronenbourg is good.  Last time I came home from France I was pleased to find it sold at a liquor store in my hometown.  The cheapest beer I drank in France was Amstel Light.  This seemed to be across the board what you got when you asked for "cheap."  As I like Amstel, I was pleased by this.

kro is just ok. if you drink agood german beer its impossible to go on to kro

ps amstel dutch

• 2 weeks later...

Forme, 3 Monts is as good as a Frence Biere de Garde gets. Or as oggd as comaprable Belge bieres get, like Affligem Tripple, for ex. # Monts is at once lively, malty and hoppy. How do they do it? I live in Mill Valley Ca right now and am deprived, but I miss it greatly.

In Paris the only good beers IMHO are the Belge and the few French Biere de Gardes, the Fischer et. al., are Budweiser/Millers with another name.

• 3 weeks later...
Let's define our terms. 

We are not talking about Northern French artisanal beers, but rather the mass-produced Kronebourg-Meteor-Fischer varieties.

The "artisanal" beers are indeed a case apart, but I'd have to disagree about Meteor. This Alsatian pilsner is most definitely a cut above most "premium" pilsners made outside of the Czech Republic and Bavaria, with the delicious soft malt character and firm bitterness of the Bohemian beauties. I'm always happy to enjoy a bottle of 3 Monts or Duyck or Sebourge, but I'm equally happy to slop my way through several tall glasses of fresh, foam-crowned Meteor. Point of reference: Meteor is, to my knowledge, the only beer to have sought (and gained) permission from Prazdoj to use the "pilsner" appellation on their label. In my opinion, it is a permission that has been well-earned. Never lose sight of the beauty of good lager beers. It is often obscured by the tarnished reputation of mass-market lagers, but that would be to throw out the Bugatti with the Yugo. After all, they are both automobiles.

Lew

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.