• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with leftover rack of lamb?

Recoil Rob

As usual my mom bought way to much lamb for Easter and I have a cooked 8 bone rack. I would appreciate some suggestions other than just reheating the rack, and it's my feeling that the meat from rack would not do well in a "stewed" dish such as a tagine or vindaloo or curry, not enough connective tissue like shoulder.

I suppose I could cut them apart and quickly grill them scotto ditto style but any other suggestions? A good sandwich?

thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

I would probably trim all the meat off and stir fry the bits with a vegetable, then either make a quick stock/soup with the bones or freeze them for when you have more lamb bones and scraps to make stock then. My concern is that if this was cooked last Sunday, you probably should be using it today if at all. Hopefully it was stored well and did not sit out on Easter for a long time.

Every time I have leftover roasted lamb, I do a southwestern lamb fried rice. Render the fat from the lamb, spring onions, jalapenos, cooked & cooled rice, cumin, ancho chilli, corn, avocado, lime and then toss the lamb in at the last minute and let it warm up from the residual heat.

PS: I am a guy.

Shred the meat in a cup blender and make a shepherd's pie. Moisten the meat with a small stock from the bones, add a veggie layer (tomato sauce ? peas & corn ? Baked Beans from a tin ?), top with mashed potato, and bake.

I always love the shepherd's pie that comes after a roast leg.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

i think i'd do a lamb, feta and red onion empanada filling. and eat several off the bone, stone-cold, with lots of crispy salt. and lick my lamby fingers...

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

We like to chop lamb in sandwich-sized bits (largish) and drop it into a container filled with olive oil, feta cheese, garlic and rosemary, and let it hang around until we feel like the greatest sandwich ever. It will all congeal in the fridge, but the flavors transfer and the congealed oil means it will last forever. Just warm very gently in a pot, put on crusty bread and use plenty of napkins.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A spicy North African stew with couscous would have my vote. I'm not a big fan of lamb and usually only cook it with spices.

I think there are several recipes in the tagine thread.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett