• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best free bread in NYC restaurants?

mabelmaguire

I'm interested to hear where New Yorkers think there is the best bread delivered gratis to the table (or with your takeout). I'm not so much interested in the fancy restaurants - more so in the little reasonably priced spots (and not just in Manhattan, but Brooklyn and Queens too) you love to go to because they serve really delicious bread! Any comments gratefully received.

Chestnut on Smith St in Bklyn serves homemade breads, including a great7(or 10)grain, that I really like. At brunch they have scones, etc as well, all made on site.

Redhead serves a bun that I like a lot and their cornbread (served with some entrees or as a side) is very nice.

I still like Union Sq Cafe's bread basket but that's about all I still like about it there these days.

The breadsticks at Mialino are addictive. I find that I go to their bar more to eat a couple of hundred of these than for the wine (which is a good list).

The bread baskets at 2 old line red sauce places (Park Side in Queens and Queen in Downtown Bklyn) can be inconsistant but are usually great, with 4-5 breads all good.

The bread sticks at Sorella are as good as the ones at Maialino (none of the rest of the food is, unfortunately).

I don't think there's a fair comparison to be made between Sorella and Maialino - the food is so different at both places; Sorella does get some love, however...Sorella.

Back to the topic at hand, most, if not all, of the McNally restaurants will offer you up some excellent and free Balthazar Bakery bread. Heck, Balthazar will even let you take home a leftover baguette later in the evening.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?