• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Dinner (need suggestions)

Phish Food

So my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I am looking for suggestions on where to take her. Right now I booked reservations at Mesa Grill, but after looking at a lot of reviews I am second guessing the choice. Any suggestions are appreciated, although she does not eat Sushi or really any Japanese food. Thanks in advance

So my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I am looking for suggestions on where to take her. Right now I booked reservations at Mesa Grill, but after looking at a lot of reviews I am second guessing the choice. Any suggestions are appreciated, although she does not eat Sushi or really any Japanese food. Thanks in advance

Mesa probably isn't too bad, but it's definitely past its prime. I'm guessing you can do better foodwise. As Kathryn mentioned, any guidance in terms of what type of place your looking for (price, formality, cuisine, location, etc.) would be helpful, as NY has more restaurants than you can imagine.