• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corey Lee Restaurant

tonto21

Just wondering if Corey Lee has opened his restaurant yet? i am visiting California this summer and am curious as to whether he has reappeared on the scene or has plans to do so before August?

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-08-06/entertainment/17177093_1_menu-chef-restaurant

Nope. We are all still waiting, with baited breath. Not even a word on location yet.

But you should probably consider Commis in Oakland. The chef, James Syhabout, just won Top 10 new Chef in the country for Food and Wine Magazine.

Tonto, you are hitting all the "biggies" and I wonder if you aren't going to suffer from a little palate fatigue with so much haute cuisine on your list. And Quince is far from low key.

The latest Ubuntu rumors is that it is just fine, but there is no new innovation; new chef Aaron London is relying on those tried and true recipes which he learned under Chef Jeremy Fox. But these are reports from people who have never been there and are impressed with the innovation of what is being done with vegetables. I'll be going back at the end of the month (probably just for lunch) to see how it is holding up, but I am far more interesting to learn where Chef Jeremy lands.

Some recommendations I would make for your spare dinner would be Aziza, Canteen, or something that showcases a cuisine you can't get where you live (which is???). We have some really great Burmese restaurants which is great for lunch, many are hot-and-bothered for Slanted Door as one of America's premiere Vietnamese. I'm also a huge fan of SPQR, a small plates restaurant with a Roman theme.

Shouldn't suffer from fatigue - I am well practiced and off to NYC after SFO for more eating! So if Im suffering by the end of SFO it won't be good news!

Yeah I didn't mean to say Quince (Have you been?) was low key just that I would be giving it a miss!

From Ireland....might well stick one of those places on the list then. thanks.

I have not been to the new Quince yet. I did got to Baker and Banker last evening (in the old Quince space) and was VERY pleasantly surprised. I'll be writing a full report with pictures in the next day or so, but quickly, I'll say that hanging out at the bar for a quick meal will be very easy for me to do. A girlfriend and I shared a smoked trout salad, foie, pappardale with short rib and mushrooms and English peas, and jelly doughnuts for dessert. Spectacular.

I think you would be happy trying some West Coast seafood and I would recommend you hit a sushi bar (if you like it raw) or one of our better fish restaurants; Bar Crudo, Ame, Anchor & Hope, or Tadich Grill. The latter two are open for lunch.