• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Regional Food/Road Food

So, we take a few short-ish road trips out of Sydney every year, mostly to New England and the Port Macquarie coast, and more often than not, we find ourselves faced with the choice of eating something questionable or McDonald's. Yes, yes, I know many would put the two in the same category, but speaking as someone who just recently has been served 'mexican' nachos with sweet chile sauce and a bacon and tomato sandwich with white tomatoes, nearly raw bacon and BBQ sauce (!!!!!!), to mention just one or two, McDonald's looks like an oasis.

We like Top Pub in Uralla on the New England Highway. We've eaten there a few times, and it's a cut above most pub meals, with everything very fresh and flavourful (plus great chips), inluding salads that actually resemble salads instead of afterthoughts. There's a lovely beer garden if the weather is nice and the staff are really friendly.

So, what little gems have you found for a quick meal when travelling around regional Australia?

• 8 months later...

Travelling through Warrnambool we came across a little Italian restaurant that blew my socks off. The meal at Nonna Casalinga's was one of the MOST memorable meals I have ever eaten, my wife still raves about their gnocchi to this day.

Nonna Casalinga Overview

Nestled in the restaurant precinct in Warrnambool, Nonna Casalinga offers Italian Cuisine in an elegant setting. The name Nonna Casalinga is Italian for Nonnas home cooking, and owners / chef Chris & Alysia Considine have developed a menu that embodies this description. Enjoy your evening amidst romantic lighting & a rustic environment which has an old antique cabinet. The menu may include Seafood Cacciucco - fish stew from Livorno, crab, vongale, prawns, scallops & char grilled croutons.

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin