• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saving Leftover Chocolate After Molding

Camano Chef

How do most of you save the tempered chocolate after a molding session?

I know this might seem a dumb question but everything else has seemed to be covered.

I have been letting the chocolate harden in the tempering bowl, then breaking into chunks and then cryopacking such as I would for suis vide.

Many thanks,

Phil

Same for me; spread out on a tray covered in parchment and then break up but I have been getting concerned that some of the plastic bags/boxes I use to store the chocolate aferwards have been imparting a bit of a 'plastic' aroma. Not sure if it will help but I have started trying to keep the plastic type bags the chocolate came in and then re-use these to store the pieces. The tainting has seemed worst with white chocolate.

I also pour out onto parchment and then break up into pieces. I keep them in the same original bag they came from. The Valrhona bags are great as they zip lock. I always keep the empty Valrhona bags as well for blended chocolates I sometimes make or whatever needs arise and then I just stick a masking tape piece on and mark what is inside it and the date.

If and when I have extra, it is poured into a little flat disc mold and DH loves to eat the small bits, sometimes with PB on them :laugh: or just about anything else you might find in our fridge.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.