• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping skin crispy when resting meat

kermie

If you're cooking at home and want to rest your meat, keep it warm but not let it keep cooking how do you do this - WHILE keeping the skin/crackling crispy. If you cover it, it goes soggy. If you don't it gets cold. Is this really obvious and I'm missing something?

With pork, beef or lamb you can move it into a warming draw if you have one or turn the oven off and leave the door open a bit. With beef and lamb I give a joint at least 30min of its cooking time at 200°F anyway - I find it finishes cooking better that way. Chicken is a different kettle of fish. Whatever you do with it the steam from the inside will make the skin soggy - the best bet is to eat the skin straight away while it is still crisp!! :biggrin:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Some tips for chicken can be found here [click].

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.