• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coed Baby Shower

CDRFloppingham

My wife and I are hosting a coed baby shower this Sunday. The weather is marginal; it is supposed to rain Friday and maybe Saturday and Sunday will be partly cloudy and ~65 degrees.

There are about 30 people coming. We cannot seat that many so I'm planning a standup menu although at least 20 people will have some kind of seat and we have seating and a table for at least 15 if the patio is available. There will be a few ovo-lacto vegetarians there. There are a few kids (like 4 or 5)coming and I haven't specifically addressed that so I would really appreciate advice in that regard.

Gazpacho (vegetarian) to be served in plastic cups

Pan bagnat (vegetarian)

Roast beef and swiss with tartar sauce sandwich

Turkey club sandwiches

Chicken satay with peanut sauce

Pesto pasta salad (vegetarian)

Chinese chicken salad (a cabbagy slaw)

Whole Foods cake

Gelato

Fruit

Chocolate

Edited by CDRFloppingham (log)

Sounds fine for casual stand-up munchies... but hold the tartar sauce on my roast beef. I'll take horseradish instead. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeah, the RB and swiss with tartar sounds not so great but it comes from a little sandwich shop that I used to frequent maybe 25 years ago. It's not so much tartar sauce...more like a 1000 Island Dressing.

Maybe I should go more conventional...consider horseradish.

Durn, it's not letting me edit the original post.

I want to do some crudites too. Any ideas for a vegetarian dip (besides hummus)?

Edited by CDRFloppingham (log)

For the kids you might make some of the sandwiches plain - i.e. no mayo, mustard or other sauces. I just watched my 8 year old cousin trying to miserably pick around a sandwich with mustard on both sides. And you might do some chicken skewers with just salt and pepper or other light seasoning. Some kids will love it all as is, but some like things much simpler, in my experience.

Looks like a great menu!

Nadya

CDR Flopingham, I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the South (or even not), Pimento (sp?) cheese is always good, and easy. Don't go nuts with the tabasco, and add some chopped pecans, and the kids will love it on crackers or celery sticks.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

And there's the dip I made when I fed a bunch of hungry ice hockey players, re a suggestion from Okanagancook: half sour cream and half salsa with lots of fresh cilantro. Great with chips or vegetables, or even on some sandwiches.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

CDR Flopingham, I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the South (or even not), Pimento (sp?) cheese is always good, and easy. Don't go nuts with the tabasco, and add some chopped pecans, and the kids will love it on crackers or celery sticks.

DC Metro. Pimento cheese might work.

Does anyone think I can do Pb&J for the kids?

I have often done PB&J on flour tortillas for events where kids were attending...easier for little hands to hold, less chance of a major mess if dropped.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Does anyone think I can do Pb&J for the kids?

I have often done PB&J on flour tortillas for events where kids were attending...easier for little hands to hold, less chance of a major mess if dropped.

Do you do them as rolls or just thin sammies?

Not kayb, but just my .02, I'd do them as thin sammies, then slice into thin wedges, like pizza, only smaller. Don't need toothpicks that way; sometimes kids and toothpicks just dont mix, especially if one is an agressive kid who likes to make other kids holler... :angry:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"