• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what is corn

formula400

Corn is maize everywhere else in the world. Corn syrup is a sweetener derived from corn starch that is treated with acid and heat, IIRC.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I have always thought of corn as a vegetable, but just found out it is really a grain.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

hello, right i read a lot on here and a few other American web site abouts "corn" do they mean sweet corn????

also what is corn syrup???

thanks people,

lewis

You might know corn syrup as glucose where you live.

Glucose is a simple sugar that can come from corn, but all glucose isn't corn syrup.

Corn can come on the cob, and be stripped from the husk for kernels. Some corn is sweet corn, but there are other varieties with different concentrations of sugars that aren't sweet. So it kind of depends on the context.

Edited by Dignan (log)

Probably way off base here but I thought maybe he was wanting to know

what actual sweet corn was. Most of the corn crop is field corn

which becomes animal feed and corn products. This type is often

called dent corn. Sweet corn is what we eat right off the cob

.........in Iowa, Roasting Ears. Pass the butter please.

In England to say you saw a field of corn conjurers up a field of wheat waving in the wind.

I mentioned to an American friend once 'going like a corn fed Leicester hunter' :laugh: and she could not

understand why you would feed a horse maize ...

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Sweet corn, is probably just corn. There are all kinds of corn, but nobody finds "sour" corn at the grocery. Canned corn usually calls itself sweet corn, and it may be selected like sweet peas by dumping corn in water. The sweeter corn floats, and is saved for canning. But, just a guess.

Corn Syrup, in America, probably refers to Karo syrup. Karo is corn syrup (glucose), high fructose corn syrup, which together are approximately invert syrup, plus salt and vanilla. That is comes from corn, is probably irrelevant.

-e

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

no i know what sweet corn is, but on the michael laiskonis blog he makes corn sorbet, i just, plus few times i`ve seen Americans use corn in desserts, just wondered if it was sweet corn or what.

i cook, i sleep, i ride.

The Old English word "corn" means "grain, seed, berry" so it just meant tiny chunk of something (though even then it was used to gloss the Latin word for grain). That's why corned beef means beef cured in tiny chunks of salt. I suspect that the word was a bit more fluid way back when and could be applied to whatever grain was around: in America that was corn and in England, wheat. Now the word's meaning is more rigidly crystallized, so when somebody says corn I think about shucking an ear, slathering with butter, and jumping in teeth first.

nunc est bibendum...

Sweet corn for people as opposed to cow corn. When my sister and her husband were posted to Germany, the Canadian Forces PX would have a German farmer grow sweet corn with seed brought from Canada, so Canadians could have corn on the cob. (The PX also arranged for a local farmer not to hill up all his asparagus so the Canadians could buy green asparagus instead of white.)

But do Brits and Europeans not eat corn at all, either canned or frozen?

Probably way off base here but I thought maybe he was wanting to know

what actual sweet corn was. Most of the corn crop is field corn

which becomes animal feed and corn products. This type is often

called dent corn. Sweet corn is what we eat right off the cob

Right, generally speaking. Although I do feel the need to point out that a great many old-timers, I among them, prefer field corn to sweet corn for eating "right off the cob."

Many of today's "sweet" varieties are too sweet for me. Sometimes I think they've sacrificed the corn flavor in a continuing effort to satiate the seemingly insatiable American appetite for sweets.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, is field corn the same as white corn?

If so I also prefer it.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Jaymes, is field corn the same as white corn?

If so I also prefer it.

The color of the corn depends upon the variety. I've seen white field corn but, generally speaking (in my experience anyway), most white corn is one of the sweet varieties. Especially if you bought it in a grocery store, it's extremely unlikely to have been field corn. You used to be able to find field corn fairly often in roadside stands, but it's harder to find now.

If you're going to eat field corn, the best thing to do is to pick the ears when they're young, and roast them.

When I was a kid, we lived in the country. Right next to our place was an enormous field of field corn. Our neighbor told us we could have all we wanted. As it turned out, we wanted quite a lot. I sometimes wondered if he ever regretting telling us to help ourselves!

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's why corned beef means beef cured in tiny chunks of salt...

Thank you! I've always wondered about that...

You don't hear the expression "salt corns" much anymore, but "pepper corns" is still in quite popular use.

As is the less appetizing: "I'm afraid you've got a corn on your big toe."

Corn used in desserts is "sweet" or people corn, like canned corn from the supermarket. Ihavent had the opportunity to try corn icecream but it does sound interesting

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

My father-in-law grew many acres of field corn. He discovered that he could plant a small

plot of sweet corn in the middle of some field corn. It was a way to foil the raccoons.

One year I planted Indian corn next to sweet corn. Had a lot of cross pollination and ended up with amazing looking sweet corn.

no i know what sweet corn is, but on the michael laiskonis blog he makes corn sorbet, i just, plus few times i`ve seen Americans use corn in desserts, just wondered if it was sweet corn or what.

Yes, it *is* sweet corn. I'm wondering if what's confusing you is the idea of using corn in something like sorbet. It's certainly a non-traditional ingredient, but it's like any of the current vogues of chefs using non-traditional ingredients. Like basil sorbet or savory ice cream or the like.