• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cruzan Diamond And Single Barrel

monsuke fiend

• 2 weeks later...

The Estate Diamond is the 5yr old (as indicated by the new packaging) and has caramel coloring added to it, as can be clearly seen when comparing the bottles side by side. The regular line of Cruzan is pure molasses distillate, which yeilds a more industrial type of spirit most suitable for mixing, though the oak aging of the 5 yr brings it around enough for drinking on the rocks or neat. I am guessing, just by taste, correct me if I am wrong Ed, but I don't think the Cruzan Single Barrel is a pure molasses distillate (if it is, they have done it very well) and I am not sure of the age. It doesn't appear to be flavor/color altered with caramel.

IMO, the Single barrel is worth every penny and is much lighter on the palate, not so sweet, but still a "sweeter" style (vs. the drier French style rums) with loads of vanilla and tropical fruit on the nose and palate. Pleasant light spice on the finish.

Both of these rums are molasses distillate. The notable difference is that the Estate Diamond is considerably heavier on the palate. The Single Barrel is a blend of rums which are then aged in a single barrel for up to eighteen months depending on the taste of the blender.

After drinking both I prefer the heavier flavor of the Estate Diamond, but kee a bottle of the Single Barrel around for the research.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Both of these rums are molasses distillate. The notable difference is that the Estate Diamond is considerably heavier on the palate. The Single Barrel is a blend of rums which are then aged in a single barrel for up to eighteen months depending on the taste of the blender.

After drinking both I prefer the heavier flavor of the Estate Diamond, but kee a bottle of the Single Barrel around for the research.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The rums are aged up from 6 to 12 years and then aged again in another barrel for another 18 months. Hope this clears this up.

It was surprising to me that the single barrel was considerably lighter in flavor than the Estate Diamond which has always been on of my favorite rums.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.