• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decades Dinner

Michaeltheonion

The Restaurant at which I currently serve as chef is celebrating its 30th anniversary. Which in human years would make it 120 I think. We are planning a series of dinners to commemorate this. The first theme of the dinners is decades. I want to serve dishes based on the decades in which the restaurant was around. We will be doing the 80's, 90's 00's and a "future 'course. I want each plate to reflect the styles and trends. For example the 80's will feature some post noveau cusine. The 90's is going to be hardcore fusion. The 00's is either going to be farm to table or perhaps some molecular dishes. And the future? What do you see as the trends for the coming decade?

Any input, from complete dishes to styles, techniques or fads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Blackened redfish was huge in the 80's, but, I know that population is in decline, so I cannot recommend it. Santa Fe 'style' was hot and southwestern food became trendy -fresh salsa was introduced to supermarkets all over. Tahitian vanilla was everywhere in desserts in the 80's, and gourmet pizza with anything on it was being copied by a lot of people. For me, home cooking was epitomized by The Silver Palate Cookbook, my link is to the 25th anniversary edition. BTW, the plated dessert was first created in 1984, IIRC.