• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Kugel/Latkes- Is it Sour Cream, Applesauce or...?

weinoo

I never knew my German grandmother, so I don't know how she served her Potato Pancakes although I use her recipe. I fry them in bacon fat and don't need anything else.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I've always preferred applesauce, homemade and no sugar added, with latkes.

Several years ago I watched a friend make latke "cups" filled with chunky apple compote.

She started the latkes the usual way, frying the first side until beginning to crisp, turning them and frying just till they began to turn (and hold together) then putting them in a jumbo cupcake pan, pushing down on the center to form a cup, adding the apple compote and putting them in the oven -

not sure of the temp - for about 20 minutes.

These came out of the pan easily and were topped with sour cream and some were sprinkled with cinnamon.

Delicious!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett