• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Kugel/Latkes- Is it Sour Cream, Applesauce or...?

weinoo

I recently made potato kugel for a Passover seder we were invited to. Well, I actually made kugelettes, if that is indeed a word. They came out great.

But my question isn't so much about the making of the kugel as it is in what do you like to serve it with. I heated up the leftovers today for lunch, and tried them with both applesauce and sour cream. And I can't decide which I like better.

What's your go-to with kugel or potato pancakes even? Is there another accompaniment I might be missing?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

What's your go-to with kugel or potato pancakes even? Is there another accompaniment I might be missing?

Without a doubt sour cream!

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

100% sour cream. If I'm eating it with a meat meal, I'd rather have nothing than have applesauce. So, don't eat them with a meat meal (obviously if you don't keep kosher, this is not an issue?).

I grew up eating them/it with sour cream (though not when we ate at Grandma's, cause she did keep kosher). So where did the whole trend of eating them with applesauce come from?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I think ketchup and latkes may be against the law in some places. Against the laws of kashrut at least (not really).

Mitch, I assume apple-sauce became the norm because it is parve and can be used with a meat meal. I have no idea why it was applesauce rather than anything else though.

• Like 1

Both! Some bites with sour cream, some with applesauce, some with both!

Craving them now...

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

Both here, too, but also my Polish grandparents would serve latkes dusted with granulated sugar and salt, which is still my favorite. I won't turn down a gob of sour cream, or a little bowl of applesauce on the side, though!

Both here, too, but also my Polish grandparents would serve latkes dusted with granulated sugar and salt, which is still my favorite. I won't turn down a gob of sour cream, or a little bowl of applesauce on the side, though!

Lilija, it must be a Polish thing, because BOTH for me too, absolutely. That's the way my Polish mom always served latkes. Although the sugar/salt thing sounds intriguing, may have to do some field research on that.... :wink:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Lilija, it must be a Polish thing, because BOTH for me too, absolutely. That's the way my Polish mom always served latkes. Although the sugar/salt thing sounds intriguing, may have to do some field research on that.... :wink:

Hey! Wait just a second there guys. My Polish family served Latkes with salt and pepper only.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My family is from Sejny and my Mother was born and raised in Montreal...where you get MONTREAL bagels which I love.

(I also eat French Toast with only salt on it, something that came from my Mother. I don't think my Bubi ever made French Toast. I am sure my Papa (that's what I called him...that's what my Mother called him) would ever eat something so foreign as French Toast. :biggrin: )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I love sour cream on many things, but for me it has to be applesauce. There's just something about the sweetness and texture that makes applesauce the perfect thing.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

• 1 year later...

I grew up in a non-Jewish household and we always had applesauce with our potato pancakes. I make homemade unsweetened applesauce just for these and I love the way the tartness and freshness cuts the oil. But the things are always the whole meal in our house rather than a side dish.

Regarding the use of apples, there is an old German dish known as Himmel und Erde which is apple and potato mash - maybe it's part of the same continuum.