• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef : Season 7 - Washington, D.C.

Reignking

Missed the chat room. In terms of TC, I think its a great idea....

Never-the-less, a couple of items from last night's episode:

1) I feel the challenge was disingenous, or, at the least, presented in a misleading way. My perspective was that the chefs were to create a dish that could feasibly be sent into space, and while I realistically understand Padma was never going to be sucking reconstituted glazed short ribs from cryovac pouch, I do think Ed's bone-still-attached rack of lamb was so impractible as to basically render the challenge to be "do whatever the hell you want." The mere thought of freeze drying and reconstituting Tiffany's fish curry dish, along with the mussels she was planning on adding, is so unappetizing that if I were on the ISS I'd jettison her bag of fish flavored curry goop before I'd ever consider actually eating it. Same goes for Kelly's fish broth.

2) What was up with Bourdain? It was like he and Ripert got in a lover's quarrel on the cab ride over to the ironically named Ronald Reagan Building. Bourdain seemed to just want to shit on Ripert for the sheer pleasure of doing so.

Bourdain seemed to just want to shit on Ripert for the sheer pleasure of doing so.

I think Bourdain gets sheer pleasure out of doing that to everyone.

In last week's episode Angelo told of, as a kid, pasting chef's pictures on his wall and worshiping them. I like to think that Bourdain, an unforgiving god, was one of the chefs.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I think Top Chef has jumped the shark and nuked the fridge. None of the contestants have impressed me and none of them seem to have a sense of daring in their dishes. And pea puree? Either it's an inside joke, a very bizarre trend!

Lets hope that Just Desserts changes this trend.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I had to laugh at Bourdain's reference to Ripert's "dark world view". Ripert did a stint on the line at Le Halles for a No Reservations episode so they obviously have a good relationship. I think they just have different points of view.

I agree that the challenge seemed ambiguous. The one restriction that made it to the air regarded sweetness. But it appears that the sweetest dish won.

I still don't understand the terms of the challenge.

It was poorly explained. The initial statement was: it needed to be a dish suitable for freeze-drying, putting into cryovac bags, and sending up into space. I suspect that any chef who actually took that seriously, would lose. In addition, none of the judges were qualified to say how these dishes would taste under the conditions that astronauts actually eat them.

So it just turned into, "Cook something that is 'out of this world'".

I think Top Chef has jumped the shark and nuked the fridge. None of the contestants have impressed me and none of them seem to have a sense of daring in their dishes.

As I mentioned upthread, the format of the show doesn't encourage risk-taking, and it never did. The smarter chefs have figured that out. With last year's odd exception, it is hard to get TRULY adventurous, impressive chefs onto this show.

The Chat Room during the airing of the episode was great fun and the commentary was much more enlightening than the drivel provided by Bourdain. Far more interesting than the show and the Chefs...

Besides the buzz that Buzz provides to the Space Age set, was there a reason he was at that table?

So he could make a comment that included a reference to TANG.

I still don't understand the terms of the challenge.

It was poorly explained. The initial statement was: it needed to be a dish suitable for freeze-drying, putting into cryovac bags, and sending up into space. I suspect that any chef who actually took that seriously, would lose. In addition, none of the judges were qualified to say how these dishes would taste under the conditions that astronauts actually eat them.

So it just turned into, "Cook something that is 'out of this world'".

Actually, what I got out of it, (and thus what had me snarling silently at the TV) was:

1) no huge chunks of meat (which essentially means everyone except for Mr. Steak totally blew it)

2) not too sweet

have *none* of these chefs ever used a freeze dried camper's meal?! It made me really miss the molecular gastronomists, because surely one of *them* would have understood the concept.

We don't get to see this, so I don't know if it's an omission on the part of the editing or the production, but did the chefs get a written rundown, or any time to absorb the challenge?

Freeze-dried meals work best with small chunks of food, in a tasty thick sauce. Stews are ideal.

The cheftestants should have been given the opportunity to sample one of the astronauts' favorite freeze-dried meals, to get an idea of what's possible.

I think this season for whatever reason, only the bland have survived. Except for Angelo's Asian obsession. But the behind the scenes on family life for Angelo just made me dislike him. I'm being *totally* judgmental, and who knows how much has been manipulated, but the blame toward his ex's family, coupled with "engaged to a Russian woman!" (when it's only been a year since the divorce)... *shrug*

I miss Carla, and Hung, and Fabio, and. and, and... (Okay, maybe I'm still cranky about losing Arnold from this season.)

Actually, what I got out of it, (and thus what had me snarling silently at the TV) was:

1) no huge chunks of meat (which essentially means everyone except for Mr. Steak totally blew it)

The irony was that one of the critiques at the judge's table was that the steak was cut too thin. The correct strategy on Top Chef has always been to produce competent, safe food for the first phase of the challenges until the chaff had fallen away and then cook for your life to keep up with the other talented chefs. It's just a pity that this season, phase one has lasted all the way up till the finales.

PS: I am a guy.

In addition, none of the judges were qualified to say how these dishes would taste under the conditions that astronauts actually eat them.

One of the panelists, Vickie Kloeris, has been with the ISS food program for 20 years, and almost certainly can make such predictions. As it happens, Vickie participated in a fascinating symposium back in 2004. You can read it here: eGullet Q&A with NASA Food Scientist Vickie Kloeris.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

We do need to realize I think, that the challenge as presented to the TV audience is not necessarily reflective of the actual rules that the contestants are given. They film the little TV intro bit, and then they have what is apparently a quite lengthy Q&A/legal chat about what the precise rules of the challenge are, so that everyone is on the same page. Of course, that is not getting aired, we the TV audience are told the challenge is "make astronaut food," while what the contestants are told is "make food inspired by what astronauts might hypothetically want to eat." So this really isn't contestants "ignoring the challenge" it's really just the Magical Elves distorting the rules for the audience.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

He's one of the most recognizable and entertaining food personalities on tv. Why should he not be there? He actually was very fair and provided legitimate criticism of this good but not great group of cooks. So he gave Ripert a ribbing? So what? They are old buddies and that's what he does best.

I do agree with almost every one here that this season's contestants are very much lacking. Food is good I guess but mostly uninspiring.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

2) What was up with Bourdain? It was like he and Ripert got in a lover's quarrel on the cab ride over to the ironically named Ronald Reagan Building. Bourdain seemed to just want to shit on Ripert for the sheer pleasure of doing so.

I loved having Bourdain back. Even if he and Eric had a spat. I loved how he looked at Angelo as he described making love to his short ribs. Classic! I thing Angelo is talented, maybe should win, but he is nuts - and BTW, I really liked Tiffany - not so much her cooking but her personality.

Besides the buzz that Buzz provides to the Space Age set, was there a reason he was at that table?

So he could make a comment that included a reference to TANG.

He's one of the most recognizable and entertaining food personalities on tv. Why should he not be there? He actually was very fair and provided legitimate criticism of this good but not great group of cooks. So he gave Ripert a ribbing? So what? They are old buddies and that's what he does best.

I do agree with almost every one here that this season's contestants are very much lacking. Food is good I guess but mostly uninspiring.

P.S. Sorry for the repost, but I did not "quote" the first time I posted this and did not notice it unitl the "edit" window was closed.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I think people aren't realizing that Bourdain and Ripert are old friends.

And Angelo is indeed nutso. When has that stopped Anyone from being a chef?

What's more interesting in this last episode: the two intentional mentions of jesus christ.

In Collichio's blog, he acknowledges that many people are saying the competition is not up to the levels of past seasons, but promises a strong finale. Best food of the season.

Unfortunately, he didn't address the freeze-dried parameters.

FoodMan, are you talking about Aldrin, or Bourdain?

Argh...Sorry about that and I have not even started drinking yet. My response was definitly about Bolurdain, but somehow since Chris' response was right after David's comment, I thought they both are talking about the same person. I actually totally forgot about Buzz even being on the show. Guess he really did not add anything.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Did anyone happen to catch Iron Chef last night? New episode with Cat Cora and Richard Blais as sous (which has happened before), but the other sous was...surprise...Ed Cotten. I can only assume that means he did not win.

eGullet Top Chef Finale Chat Room

Last week's test of the technology went smoothly, so during the two finale episodes of Top Chef we'll again set up an open chat room: it's a place where you can come and join your fellow eGullet Top Chef fans to discuss (and mock) the episode live, while it's happening.

The chat room will "go live" for Society Donors fifteen minutes before the episode starts, and five minutes before the episode starts for Participating Members. We're basing this off the Eastern and Central timezone airing of the episode, so that's 9:45pm EDT/8:45 CDT for Donors and 9:55pm EDT/8:55 CDT for Participating Members. Only the first twenty members to get there will be allowed in, but if you get a message that the chat room is full, feel free to check in later during the episode to see if space has opened up. Finally, if you have any questions please PM me.

Here's the link to get to the room: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?app=ipchat

If you decide to join us, please note that regular eGullet Forums rules still apply!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Haha! Loved that 2 months makes any mommy an expert!!

I too am bored with Padma's questionable "expertise" and progressively nasty commentaries about both the food and the contestants. Unless it's the editing which seems to be every reality show participant's excuse, she just seems to be increasingly haughty and self-important. Pretty? Yes. Pleasant, no. Replacement please!