• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef : Season 7 - Washington, D.C.

Reignking

Did he buy peas? Can they check his receipt?

Checking receipts at this late date is clearly impossible.

I would think they most definitely would have the receipts. For many reasons, just this sort of thing being one.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I don't know what evidence you would require.

I just have a hard time believing there's no footage of Alex buying peas or making his puree. I guess the speculation makes a better show.

Well...Ed's claim is that Alex stole his puree. If that's true, then there would be no footage of Alex making it. Bravo can't show what they don't have.

I also find it odd the other chefs didn't raise more of a stink about it. Especially Ed. Not necessarily on camera but if it were me I would definitely go to the producers. They kicked Cliff off for what he did to Marcel and I think if Alex stole the puree he should get the boot too.

What Cliff did to Marcel was pretty clear-cut: there was no conceivable interpretation, as it was manifestly against the rules prohibiting physical intimidation. Also, it happened off-hours, so the producers had plenty of time to evaluate the evidence before the competition resumed.

Here, Ed could not find his puree, and he saw that Alex appeared to have it. Ed would've needed to approach the producers for the equivalent of a video replay review in a football game, where the clock stops (remember: the challenges are timed) while the producers reviewed the evidence. Except here, the review might have taken hours. And of course, Alex could claim it was an honest mistake, and there is no rule that prohibits mistakes, even those that incidentally harm another competitor.

So Ed, recognizing that time was of the essence, decided to suck it up and go ahead without the puree he was sure he made.

I don't know what evidence you would require.

I just have a hard time believing there's no footage of Alex buying peas or making his puree. I guess the speculation makes a better show.

I re-watched this on my TiVo. Just before Alex starts to talk about making pea puree, you see a QUICK shot of him pulling something out of the cooler. I did a re-wind and a slow-motion and frame by frame review. It appears as of Alex removes a few zip top bags of actual whole peas. So, I think that may be the evidence you need to say Alex did have whole peas with him. And that means he probably made pea puree at the restaurant. Of course, maybe it turned out bad and he stole Ed's. But I am leaning towards thinking Alex didn't steal Ed's puree.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

This show seems to have a Star Trek movie cycle thing going, you know? Where they said for awhile that every other movie was good but the inbetween ones sucked. Neither these people nor the food they make is appealing to me. The chefs look pretty good on paper, but the season so far has not been my favorite.

Probably this could be a new thread...but I'll start it here anyway.

What are Padma's credentials that she gets to be a judge on TC? As far as I can see she is this show's equivalent of Vanna White, yet she's given the role of Judge with apparently an equal vote with Ripert et al. What's that all about?

Padma, please pack your weird clothes and go.

Padma is really billed as more of a host. I don't really know how the actual judging works, though I believe all the judges on any given episode (and that can include other non-chef types) need to come to a consensus as to who wins and who packs their knives and goes.

Remember, it's just a TV show. This isn't like judging some event in the Olympics like figure skating.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Why when they were standing there as the top three did no one speak up and throw his cheating ass under the bus? Is it possible they aren't entirely certain he cheated? With all the editing it's impossible to tell what actually transpired. But if he won that challenge with stolen pea puree I hope it haunts his nightmares for the rest of his life...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

gfweb

Posted Today, 12:04 PM

Probably this could be a new thread...but I'll start it here anyway.

What are Padma's credentials that she gets to be a judge on TC? As far as I can see she is this show's equivalent of Vanna White, yet she's given the role of Judge with apparently an equal vote with Ripert et al. What's that all about?

Padma, please pack your weird clothes and go.

she hosted a cooking show. she's written a couple cookbooks. not sure what qualifications would be essential for the job. i find her 100% less annoying than the original host, katie lee (joel) and 1000% less annoying than the one on top chef masters, whose name i have blocked, because i cannot watch her.

if i recall correctly, padma doesn't get to vote. she's the host. (just checked official website, which indicates that she "presides" over judge's table. doesn't sound like a voting position to me, but i could be wrong.)

been thinking about this pea puree contretemps. what contestant would seriously think he/she could get away with stealing a component from another chef? i mean, seriously, they have cameras everywhere, as well as the eyes of what? 6 other contestants, at this point? as well as receipts, i'm convinced. the pros (using what would have to be an utterly kick-ass item, in order to even consider such a boneheaded move) just don't outweigh the cons (public ridicule and shaming, being kicked off for stealing, etc.) i'm not at all enthused about this season's contestants, but i don't think there is a single one dumb enough to give that move a second thought. seems like a red herring to create a little drama to me.

i could be wrong.

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I haven't posted in a while and miss reading things. So much apologies if this is a repeat comment but I was watching the reruns of TC DC and the baby food episode.

Let me say, I thought Padma looked like she was wearing a Ninja turtle costume, what was that white vest with the black or whatever color it was panel on the front?

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

she hosted a cooking show. she's written a couple cookbooks. not sure what qualifications would be essential for the job.

Yeah, those are her credentials, which means she probably has as much of a right to an opinion as plenty of other people who host food shows.

if i recall correctly, padma doesn't get to vote. she's the host. (just checked official website, which indicates that she "presides" over judge's table. doesn't sound like a voting position to me, but i could be wrong.)

Unlike Top Chef Masters, there is no actual voting at Judges' Table; the decision is made by consensus. From the brief excerpts they show on TV, as well as the longer excerpts available on the Bravo website, she very clearly DOES function as a judge. She has opinions about who should win and lose, and has as much opportunity to express them as anyone else sitting there.

Edited by oakapple (log)

That was a pretty jaw-dropping episode. Is there anyone else who was generally appalled at the lack of knowledge about non-European cuisines expressed by so many of these contestants? Even if you're so parochial in your tastes or training to have never experienced a key world cuisine, wouldn't you do a little prep before going onto a nationally televised cooking contest?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

That was a pretty jaw-dropping episode. Is there anyone else who was generally appalled at the lack of knowledge about non-European cuisines expressed by so many of these contestants? Even if you're so parochial in your tastes or training to have never experienced a key world cuisine, wouldn't you do a little prep before going onto a nationally televised cooking contest?

Well Jose Andres made mention that even though the contestants are chefs, they can't be expected to be familiar with every cuisine in the world (or something along that line). And considering the constestants likely had responsibilities such as actual jobs before going on TC, one can't expect them to prep for every possibe chalange prior to the show.

I think you could be a pretty good chef, without necessarily having any expertise in all of the world's cuisines, which is a pretty tall order. In terms of advance preparation, I am not sure how they could have anticipated this particular challenge.

Well Jose Andres made mention that even though the contestants are chefs, they can't be expected to be familiar with every cuisine in the world (or something along that line). And considering the constestants likely had responsibilities such as actual jobs before going on TC, one can't expect them to prep for every possibe chalange prior to the show.

I think you could be a pretty good chef, without necessarily having any expertise in all of the world's cuisines, which is a pretty tall order. In terms of advance preparation, I am not sure how they could have anticipated this particular challenge.

I'm making a slightly different point than those I emphasized in the above quotations. I don't think that contestants should be expert in "every cuisine in the world." But, c'mon: Mexico, Italy, France, Thailand, Spain, Japan, India, China, and Brazil? I daresay that most of the amateur enthusiasts here in the eGullet Society, not to mention every chef I've ever known, would have some foundational knowledge of those key world cuisines.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I cant believe how angry i got a person on tv about the whole pea puree thing. I wanted to just leap through the tv screen and give alex a good shake and smack. Whether he took it or not he is a hack. He works sloppy, he is all over the place, and he is so arrogant about his plates.

Herpe girl (Amanda) seems like she just got out of school and is finding a hobby to kill some time. She also mentioned shes a recovering drug addict but im pretty sure i saw her downing a beer in the stew room. This upsets me in the same way that Bourdain basically acts like its totally cool to have a drug addiction and drink as long as you dont do drugs. Makes me mad. I've seen a lot of good cooks fall below their potential due to this.

Patrick O'Connell looks like a character from family guy. He is also insanely close minded. I drove from NYC to the inn for a kitchen trail and they were suppose to put me up. Upon arriving i was given a uniform and then in the middle of my tour i was told by HR that they could not have me work there or put me up that night after a six hour drive because i had some visible tattoos. They sent me on my way and offered me what they called a "bag lunch" but then they were out so i received a cookie. Great 6 hour drive for a cookie. Screw them, I got a job at Alinea anyways.

I do have some chefs that i like though. Kenny, Kelly, Angelo, and i even like Tamesha. But the talent this year is definately not on par with last.

I'm making a slightly different point than those I emphasized in the above quotations. I don't think that contestants should be expert in "every cuisine in the world." But, c'mon: Mexico, Italy, France, Thailand, Spain, Japan, India, China, and Brazil? I daresay that most of the amateur enthusiasts here in the eGullet Society, not to mention every chef I've ever known, would have some foundational knowledge of those key world cuisines.

Are you talking about "foundational knowledge" or "doing a little prep?" Also, every one of those countries could have easily been another country. Thailand could have been Vietnam (personally I would have loved to see one of the chef's prepare a vegetarian pho -jk) Brazil could have been Chile. France could have been Germany. To prep for a nationally televised cooking show you'd have to prep for everything.

And Brazil? The only Brazilian dish I can think of is feijoada (which I haven't a clue how to make) and while I am positive some smart ass will come behind me with a list of Brazilian foods, I'm sure that the vast majority of us have little, if any, experience with Brazilian food.

Are you talking about "foundational knowledge" or "doing a little prep?"

I'm talking about both. I don't think that it's unreasonable for "top chefs" to know a few basics (foundational knowledge) about most of the world's cuisines, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they'd bone up a bit on them as they head off to the US center of international diplomacy. I mean, I would.

But, hey, this season, I certainly can understand the need to set the bar a bit lower.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory