• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How was the food/service at ...?

Kentan

As the EGForum is a great sounding board for restaurant recommendations, I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can ask other EGulleters for their honest opinions about specific restaurants in Metro Vancouver. Things like food quality, ambiance, service, price, and value for money.

I think it's also important to hear up-to-date opinions - a change of chef or a new owner can seriously affect the quality of a restaurant.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

To start things off: Anyone been to Le Gavroche or Le Regalade recently? I've never been to either of them, but I'm looking for a romantic French restaurant and these two seem to be the best bets. How do they compare?

n owner myself, I get kinda squeamish about internet reviews.

opinions are highly subjective. What one person finds reasonably priced another will find expensive or cheap. Same goes with service.

I don't mind discussions on facts: Prices in dollars, menu ideas.

When my place opened up, it was disccused here, had good comments and I had people using the opportunity to whinge about the location, and the actual building itself.

n owner myself, I get kinda squeamish about internet reviews.

opinions are highly subjective. What one person finds reasonably priced another will find expensive or cheap. Same goes with service.

I don't mind discussions on facts: Prices in dollars, menu ideas.

When my place opened up, it was disccused here, had good comments and I had people using the opportunity to whinge about the location, and the actual building itself.

This is a forum to discuss dining, what's the point of trying to tell people what aspects they can and can't discuss.

We've had lots of owners, managers and servers here criticizing diners and our comments and trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Not going to happen.

There's much more positive commentary than negative here, I really don't think there's much to fear. And if it is not posted here, it will still go on Chowhound, Dinehere or elsewhere.

Cheers,

Anne

Hang on, no said you're not allowed to discuss anything. You can discusss anything you want.

Fact is fact, and opinion is opinion. But when bloggers write " The prices are up there" without telling you what the prices actually are, or that "I found the service unprofessional" without giving any examples, you kinda figure that that person shouldn't be writing anything if they can't back up what they say.

So....Maybe I can comment on the building you live in or work in, and hap-hazardly guess/predict on it's construction, or it's impact on the neighborhood?

Hang on, no said you're not allowed to discuss anything. You can discusss anything you want.

Fact is fact, and opinion is opinion. But when bloggers write " The prices are up there" without telling you what the prices actually are, or that "I found the service unprofessional" without giving any examples, you kinda figure that that person shouldn't be writing anything if they can't back up what they say.

So....Maybe I can comment on the building you live in or work in, and hap-hazardly guess/predict on it's construction, or it's impact on the neighborhood?

Opinion without supporting facts or examples is not going to get much traction with me. Of course there is a lot of crappy and unfair stuff written about resaurants all over the web. My point was just that you can't stop the tide. I think most people are discerning enough to know the difference between an ignorant rant and a thoughtful analysis. If not, do you really want them as customers?

Unfortunately diners are often not well served by newspapers, commercial websites or blogs. There's lots of places just recycling publicists' news releases so it is not surprising that diners turn to other sources for information.

Let's not fight - I'm sure it is crappy to read unfair stuff about your business.

And of course you can comment on anything you want about me too. I trust that the discerning reader will decide for him or herself whether you are being fair or not.

Cheers,

Anne

Agree with you on many points, especially about newspapers. Ironically enough I don't have the "Sun" or the "Province" delivered to my place, instead I get the "Globe and Mail". And no, you can't stop the tide, especially with blogs.

On the whole, I deal with many happy customers, and many of them are returns. Still, maybe 5% are "upset" or feel I display "unprofessional behavior" to some.

Well, It's is true! (in the same way a broken clock tells the time accurately twice a day) take for example the other day, customer wants "the strongest coffee" I have. After being served, customer dumps half of the coffee in my garbage can, fills the cup up with honey and cream before even tasting it, and then remarks that the coffee isn't strong at all. Me and my big mouth, dryly remark that the coffee was strong enough but now it's only half as strong, since it's only half coffee. That one was a blogger, and he took out his revenge on me.

Last year at Eat! Vancouver I really lost it and gave one customer the ol' "one/two". We had a booth in the restaurant corner (where none of the participating restaurnts or alc.beverage people were handing out samples) and it was the last day. For the upteenth time I found my self defending my postion on not giving out free samples.

"Hey, I paid entrance fee you know, why aren't you handing out samples?"

Right hook to the face: "Oh you paid entrance fee? Now, how much do you think I paid for this 10' x10' booth?

Then the left jab to the kidney: "And those tickets you buy for the food and alcholic beverages? When we cash those tickets in, you don't actually think we'll get 100 cents on the dollar , do you?"

It's true, I have a stupid big mouth, and maybe I shouldn't have told her off like that.

But once the Genie is ot of the bottle, it's out......

I think there is a real lack of places that diners can share information. If a diner is being unfair, let other diners tell them that they are full of shit.

If restaurant owners are going to try to stick handle what is posted in the forum, then it's going to kill any sort discussion or kill this forum in general. Egullet used to be a place that people could share informed discussions about dining out in Vancouver, and I for one am glad that there is more and more activity on the site again.

I would suggest that you let the discussion develop and see where it goes. The bad posters get weeded out in the end anyways.

If diners are not allowed to be passionate about their dining experiences, then we all lose out, and the only information out there is bullshit PR spin (this is not directed at you Edward J at all, but to point out that the city's dining scene is increasingly driven by PR with disturbing media complicity).

Kentan,

I have not been to Gavroche for a while, but I think Le Regalade continues to chug along nicely. For informal French, have you thought about Faux Bourgoise (sic)? It might be a little busy to be considered 'romantic'. I think Market at the Shangrila is a very nice space, with great value for well executed hotel style french style cuisine.

Recently, I went to Corner Suite Deluxe and found the food very good. The room is a little 'Sex and the City' but the service was attentive and the pricing reasonable for the level of food you got. The food runs on the rich side, but if you order in a balanced way, this should not be a problem at all.

I would suggest that you let the discussion develop and see where it goes. The bad posters get weeded out in the end anyways.

Totally agree. What I like about forums such as these (eGullet, Chowhound) is that members are not obligated to "rate" an eating establishment based on often irrelevant criteria. You get a more complete picture of the place because a post spurs on more discussion and debate. Those who read online review sites can easily pick out vindictive reviews within microseconds.

I trust certain bloggers/posters more than most of the local "old media" reviewers (whose bodies of work completely mis/under-represents the true diversity of the eating scene in Vancouver.)

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

I'll start...

Despite the buzz and hype that Bao Bei has been getting - I am just not a fan of the food (I've been there four times so far - three times to eat&drink and once to only drink). The cocktails were fantastic however. A couple of the dishes were "alright"...but the kitchen really needs to take it to another level to warrant the accolades (which veers into boosterism, IMO). The novelty factor may be what is keeping the place busy right now.

I like the room & ambiance, the generally knowledgeable service, and the drinks.

fmed

How is the food/service at Boneta these days? I'm looking to book a nice birthday dinner. I don't hear much about the place now and I haven't been there in 1.5-2 years?

fmed

• 2 weeks later...

Kentan,

I have not been to Gavroche for a while, but I think Le Regalade continues to chug along nicely. For informal French, have you thought about Faux Bourgoise (sic)? It might be a little busy to be considered 'romantic'. I think Market at the Shangrila is a very nice space, with great value for well executed hotel style french style cuisine.

Thanks Hestia - I did go to Le Gavroche because I'd been meaning to try it, as it's in my neighbourhood. I enjoyed the food and the experience. Service isn't chatty, but efficient and unobtrusive. I will have to try Market next - a good recommendation.

I looove the food and the atmosphere at Les Faux Bourgeois. I've been there at least 4 or 5 times even though it's out of the way for me. It has that busy, intense, kind of noisy vibe that I like sometimes. Bin 941/2, Nook, Salade de Fruits, and a few others have that same feel.