• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring has arrived in the UK - what are we foraging?

I got some lovely Isle of man scallops straight off the boat last week.Paired them up with cauliflower four ways , some local porcini which i had dried from last year and had a look around the hedgerow.I managed to get some Broom ( gorse bush ) flowers ( which dont have a lot of flavour until mid summer ) and i also got some young Hedge garlic , wood sorrel and field sorrel leaves which have just started coming through up in Cumbria.img_7770.jpg

img_7783.jpg

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

On the dinner thread you will see I used wild garlic last week only the leaves. For some reason they pull them up by the roots in America, then complain they are rare. :rolleyes:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Just read an article about wild edibles in urban areas:

Asiatic DayFlower-- like spinach when sauted

Lady's Thumb-- good in salad

Poor Man's Pepper--horse radish quality

Lamb's Quarters -- similiar to spinach

Wood Sorrel

Garlic Mustard Seed Violet leaf

Red Clover Blossoms--tea

Blk Berry

Purslane

Hedge Mustard -- salads

Reishi Mushroom

I got this information from Saveur article " Etheral Spring "

Happy Hunting

Its good to have Morels

Evidently Jenni there are two varieties - ursinum and tricoccum -they both look very similar but which we have in the UK I don't know. Enjoy yours but don't dig them up like they do in the US!

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

• 1 month later...

It looks like it might be a bumper crop of Elder Flower this year, I've already filled up a freezer with it and it's only just started blooming!

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just Bristol and the surrounds?

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

• 5 months later...

Not many elderberries around these parts but we've had a bumper crop of ceps again this year.

Been gathering for a good couple of months now off and on - I am learning more year on year on the behaviour of mushrooms round here. Definitely more appear a couple of days after the full moon, and they seem to begin in the woods and move out onto the grassy borders as the year goes on.

With the leaves having fallen now they are getting more difficult to spot...

IMAG0267.jpg

but once you stumble across one there's sure to be more close by...

IMAG0265.jpg

This one a nice twin...

IMAG0266.jpg

There are a lot of people in my local area gathering from the same general location as me, but there's enough to go round. Here is the fruits of 2 hours of meandering this morning, just over a kilo of mostly ceps, with a few other boletus and some saffron milk caps...

IMAG0268.jpg

Some have been pickled, some dried, and a lot eaten fresh, such as this lovely cep and parmesan pizza with garlic butter for lunch...

IMAG0271.jpg

Lovely!