• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections with egg?

chocofoodie

I was thinking of putting pudding into molded chocolates.... the egg yolks are cooked, but it has to set in the fridge. I don't know what will happen to it at room temperature, I don't know if it will rot or what? does something like this have a shelf life?

I've filled chocolate with lemon curd (egg based) ... I keep them refridgerated and make sure they are eaten within a week. I've also frozen them and once defrosted eaten within a couple of days.

Could you make the pudding using cornflour instead of eggs and that might increase your shelf life?

It does have cornflour in it as well as egg yolk. Maybe I should just change the recipe to one without egg? how much more time do you think it will give me? I would rather not refridgerate the chocolates once they are finished. I dont like eating cold chocolates and I don't like the look they get after coming out. You know how they lose that shiny tempered chocolate gloss and look sort of dull and unpolished?

So everyone is in agreement that it would not be a good idea to keep them at room temperature for more than a week?