• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Luster Dust

Kim Shook

You don't have to use liquid with it. Just apply with a soft brush (soft like a makeup brush) and don't touch them afterwards. Normally, I just steam sugar flowers to get the dust to stick, but, I think if you do the application in the final container before transport and unpack carefully, you should be ok. Look for slightly darker colors.

Liquid helps to fix the dust onto a surface.

Alcohol or lemon extract is often used with it to decorate rolled fondant cakes, the dust is mixed with the alcohol then painted on. This gives a particular type of look, which can be very shiny and even. It also allows a decorator to use the dust as a paint, with great accuracy and the look of a painting.

On gumpaste flowers, the dust is generally lightly brushed on, then the finished flower is held over steam for a moment to fix the dust. This also darkens the color just a little. The steam is useful for flowers that will be transported, since loose dust could float around and color unintended areas.

I've used it with lemon extract on french macarons. I'm sure they softened a tiny bit, but the extract evaporates really quickly so it doesn't have much time to soak in (it is more alcohol than water). You get a MUCH more saturated color using extract - otoh, you also use a whole lot more luster dust.

IMG_0187.JPG

Edited by pastrygirl (log)