• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot Brownies and Baked Goods

Shel_B

I am a medical marijuana user, and I don't really care for smoking pot. However, it's sometimes the only relief I can get from my back pain.

Maybe pot brownies will help. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to incorporate marijuana into brownies or other baked goods?

... Shel

I have a friend with prostate cancer whose wife makes him brownies. She sautees the finely ground pot in the butter from the recipe before incorporating it into the batter--she was told that the oil releases the THC. I don't know how much she uses, but I am sure you can google that.

sparrowgrass

You are in for a treat. The secret, mined from the deep lore and wisdom of the Lebowski generation, is called cannabutter. A google search will no doubt produce other descriptions and instructions.

In short, you want to boil water and butter together with the weed. The idea is that the THC and other significant compounds are fat-soluble; all the nasty tasting stuff is water-soluble (think bong water). The presence of water also keeps the temperature in the pan well below THC's boiling point of 390F. Simmer for 20 or 30 minutes, then strain out the plant material. Let the butter/water mixture cool in the fridge; the fat will rise to the top and solidify. That is your magic butter. Discard the water.

This butter can be used in any recipe. Be warned that a little goes a long way, and that it's imperative to have non-magic treats around, so you'll avoid the tempting downward spiral of curing your munchies by eating more of what gave them to you.

Notes from the underbelly

You are in for a treat. The secret, mined from the deep lore and wisdom of the Lebowski generation, is called cannabutter. A google search will no doubt produce other descriptions and instructions.

Does the percentage of butter to water matter much, if ast all? In any case, about how much butter would be needed for how many grams of pot? Any rough ideas based on experience or from articles?

Thanks!

... Shel

Does the percentage of butter to water matter much, if ast all? In any case, about how much butter would be needed for how many grams of pot? Any rough ideas based on experience or from articles?

I think the percentage of weed to butter is all that really matters. Maybe do a google search and see what different people recommend ... it's just a question of how concentrated you want it to be. It's possible for it to be REALLY concentrated ... someone I met says he makes brownies that are so strong he only eats half a brownie or less. It might take some trial and error to figure out your preference.

Notes from the underbelly

In short, you want to boil water and butter together with the weed. The idea is that the THC and other significant compounds are fat-soluble; all the nasty tasting stuff is water-soluble (think bong water). The presence of water also keeps the temperature in the pan well below THC's boiling point of 390F. Simmer for 20 or 30 minutes, then strain out the plant material. Let the butter/water mixture cool in the fridge; the fat will rise to the top and solidify. That is your magic butter. Discard the water.

This butter can be used in any recipe. Be warned that a little goes a long way, and that it's imperative to have non-magic treats around, so you'll avoid the tempting downward spiral of curing your munchies by eating more of what gave them to you.

Thats a neat trick indeed, and one that I've never heard of. I think cooking the nug into a compound butter is a reliable way to go, if you don't want to taste it in the product.

If, however, you are using some quality nug and do want to taste it, I would avoid cooking it, like any other herb. Melt your butter, cool it until its just still liquid, and then puree with the nug in a blender, until smooth. Pass through a chinoise and proceed as normal.

I also am a medical mj patient. I'm in NY, I get it in a liquid gel pill form. I *wish* I could smoke, because smoking effects me immediately and I would only have to use it on an as needed basis instead of using it as prophylactic constant. Some days are better than others but it's not always easy to predict.

A friend sent this to me...the premise is amusing, a new age stoner Betty Crocker. Not fantastically funny, but amusing and some fun facts about THC conversion.

Baking A Fool of Myself

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Thats a neat trick indeed, and one that I've never heard of. I think cooking the nug into a compound butter is a reliable way to go, if you don't want to taste it in the product.

If, however, you are using some quality nug and do want to taste it, I would avoid cooking it, like any other herb. Melt your butter, cool it until its just still liquid, and then puree with the nug in a blender, until smooth. Pass through a chinoise and proceed as normal.

You have to heat the thc for your body to be able to absorb it and have the desired effect

A friend of mine makes hash truffles (Huffles? lol) I can ask him for the recipe but you could use the butter to make butter ganache

I'm wondering if you could use cocoa butter instead of dairy butter and temper it into chocolate bars by mixing the green cocoa butter in with dark chocolate. Would prolonged heat ruin the cocoa butter, or could you do it at a low enough temperature to not burn it?

You have to heat the thc for your body to be able to absorb it and have the desired effect

That's not correct. Shearing it into butter works just fine.

You need to decarboxylate the THC acids, otherwise it's not nearly as potent and you're wasting quite a bit.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2794.html

(this thread makes me feel like a stoner)

If you have a FoodSaver (or other vacuum sealer), the butter (budder) can also be made by sealing the pot and butter together and poaching it in simmering water for as long as you'd like (no waste, no cleanup).

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I'm wondering if you could use cocoa butter instead of dairy butter and temper it into chocolate bars by mixing the green cocoa butter in with dark chocolate. Would prolonged heat ruin the cocoa butter, or could you do it at a low enough temperature to not burn it?

My friend melts/dissolves the resin completely into the cream, i would think it could be melted into/with the cocoa butter and then mixed with cocoa liquor or couveture/chocolate. He doesnt steep 'grass' in cream as he says it would be bitter but if that 'has' to be done, perhaps a milk chocolate would soften the taste. Id love to experiment but.......lol

Edited by heidih
fix quote tags (log)

As a cild of the 60s we just dumped it in the batter, 1/4 to 1/2 cup depending on the potency.

We took out the stems and big pieces. I don't know what the quality is like that you get, but I am sure the textural cut would be perfect for brownies with no alterations. We also used it for oatmeal cookies.

We used it in any recipe that called for parsley or greens. I seem to remember using it in lasagne and crab cakes.

Edited by Kayakado (log)

That's not correct. Shearing it into butter works just fine.

You need to decarboxylate the THC acids, otherwise it's not nearly as potent and you're wasting quite a bit.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2794.html

(this thread makes me feel like a stoner)

Sheared into cold ice cream base, it works. Very well. I can't repute your science, except to say that feeling is believing.

But for any baked good, would the 300+ degree oven not accomplish the decarboxylation regardless? The internal temp of a finished brownie has to be at least 250 degrees, I'd imagine.