• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake mix

tiramisu

I can't find the recipe right now, but Dan Lepard wrote about using tapioca flour to replace some of the ordinary flour in a cake recipe to come closer to replicating the moist texture of packet mixes... perhaps this difference in texture is what you're looking for? I also enjoy the texture of packet cakes sometimes, and I think it's what a lot of people are used to, and will often prefer that to the home-baked stuff, which is a bit depressing :)

Dan suggested that you could try replacing up to 25% of the flour in a recipe with tapioca flour, but you will also need to add more moisture... so I guess if you subbed 25% of the flour, you'd need to add 25% of the moisture again (i.e if the recipe asks for 200ml milk, you would add an extra 50mls perhaps).