• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Food Wars' on Travel Channel

jsmeeker

Anyone watching the new series "Food Wars" on the Travel Channel? Premise is simple. Travel to a city. Find two restaurants well known for doing a food specialty in that city. Do a bit of a profile on each. Find some "super fans" to rave about which place the like better. Then, arrange a blind tasting with the super fans, plus a few other locals. Declare a winner. The show is light fun. Only 30 minute show, too.

They have been to Buffalo for a hot wings challenge between Anchor Bar and Duffs. Chicago for an Italian Beef challenge between Al's Beef and Mr. Beef. Most recently, they hit fairly close to home by visiting Lockhart, TX for a throw down between rivals (run by people from the same family) Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market to see who had the best central Texas style BBQ. I've been to both of these places. And both are considered top tier. It was fun to watch. Can't wait to go back to see who is better on my next visit.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Anyone watching the new series "Food Wars" on the Travel Channel? Premise is simple. Travel to a city. Find two restaurants well known for doing a food specialty in that city. Do a bit of a profile on each. Find some "super fans" to rave about which place the like better. Then, arrange a blind tasting with the super fans, plus a few other locals. Declare a winner. The show is light fun. Only 30 minute show, too.

They have been to Buffalo for a hot wings challenge between Anchor Bar and Duffs. Chicago for an Italian Beef challenge between Al's Beef and Mr. Beef. Most recently, they hit fairly close to home by visiting Lockhart, TX for a throw down between rivals (run by people from the same family) Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market to see who had the best central Texas style BBQ. I've been to both of these places. And both are considered top tier. It was fun to watch. Can't wait to go back to see who is better on my next visit.

I've seen the barbecue episode and really enjoyed it. I also saw an episode on fried chicken that was pretty good.

The show is a nice alternative from Adam Richman making me sick watching him stuff his face on "Man vs. Food." This show focuses on people and real places doing some authentic dishes and I really thought it was great fun. I've already started taking notes on the two fried chicken recipes. I'm sure I won't come close to duplicating what they do.

I think they may have written down their votes, then were asked to just say who they wrote down. But you are right that it may appear they know who is who when they are voting.

• 5 weeks later...

I watched a few episodes and found the show to be boring and predictable in content. Yeah, it was somewhat interesting trying to guess the winner, but after watching a couple of episodes the entire process became repetitive and I lost interest in the process. The show is over-amped and not very entertaining past a few episodes. A Big Yawn!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I watched a few episodes and found the show to be boring and predictable in content. Yeah, it was somewhat interesting trying to guess the winner, but after watching a couple of episodes the entire process became repetitive and I lost interest in the process. The show is over-amped and not very entertaining past a few episodes. A Big Yawn!

I agree. It's hollow at its core. I only get blustery posturing and affected attitude, followed by a random outcome.

I agree. It's hollow at its core. I only get blustery posturing and affected attitude, followed by a random outcome.

I haven't seen the show but it's coming off sounding more like "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" minus the Flay man.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

They have changed the format somewhat. The "Superfans" will not be part of the tasting since almost all of them guessed right in previous shows. The judging will be done by 2 guest judges and Camille Ford, the host. Also the show will be less confrontational. I don't know if the new format will take place starting tonight or not, but I was disapointed when I found out that I wouldn't be allowed to judge as a Superfan in an upcoming episode.

It was a lot of fun being a part of the show. It takes forever to film an entire episode. The upcoming Italian Hot Dog War took two full days.

John the hot dog guy

They have changed the format somewhat. The "Superfans" will not be part of the tasting since almost all of them guessed right in previous shows. The judging will be done by 2 guest judges and Camille Ford, the host. Also the show will be less confrontational. I don't know if the new format will take place starting tonight or not, but I was disapointed when I found out that I wouldn't be allowed to judge as a Superfan in an upcoming episode.

It was a lot of fun being a part of the show. It takes forever to film an entire episode. The upcoming Italian Hot Dog War took two full days.

You are going to be on an upcoming show? That's cool. Looking forward to seeing it and having you report back more in detail once it airs.

• 1 month later...

Looks like they aired the first episode using this new format last night. It was the Philly Cheesesteak showdown between Pat's and Tony Luke's. (I was a little surprised it wasn't between Pat's and Geno's)

The most interesting thing about this change is that it is no longer a blind tasting.