• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco Sushi 2010

nhconner

Two questions for Sushi in San Francisco.

Best take out Nigiri, Sashimi, Rolls, Creative.

Best Omakase, Kaiseki

Most is good, but there is too much to try, and the sea of good is drowning me looking for great.

Nate

I imagine that there are some decent restaurants which offer take-out sushi, but I've never bothered with them. When I get lazy and want take-out sushi, I usually just buy it at Nijiya Market in J-Town.

Not sure what to say about Rolls; I don't get those much any more since I moved out of Fairfield (I had a soft spot for Yo Sushi and their rolls).

For Creative, I go to Koo and their Spoonfulls of Happiness. <sigh>

Best Omakase is Kiss, but that is more than just sushi.

Best Kaiseki is Kappa, hands-down.

I will add that Kappou Gomi is worthy of note. They don't have sushi. But they *do* serve sashimi and are hands-down, THE most authentic Japanese restaurant in San Francisco proper. They are also an amazing Kaiseki, but larger than the more intimate Kappa -- possibly better...

• 2 months later...

Sushi Kazu (between 9th and 10th on Irving). Every time I go there I am amazed by the quality of fish, the attention to detail on the cuts and the preparation (rice and wasabi amounts vary for each fish as is appropriate). Kazu-san is also careful to not have things that aren't good at the time, so often, for example, uni is missing on the menu. That being said, when it is on the whiteboard menu, it's some of the best uni I've ever had.

For me the best stuff he does is the silver-skinned, and sometimes pickled, fishes like gizzard shad (kohada), sardines (iwashi), ebodai (butterfish), etc.