• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airport Lore

VivreManger

Tigerwoman's recent question about Frankfurt airport raises the general question of airport lore.

Next week I have a flight from the States ultimately arriving in Geneva at 0910, to take the next train for Lausanne.

Does anyone know the Geneva airport well enough to estimate how much time to allow for transfer from the arrival gate to the train station located within the airport complex? Here I want to move quickly. What kind of passport control on flights from Paris to Geneva exists these days? I will take a carry-on bag so I won't have to wait for luggage.

It strikes me that someone could make some money writing a guide to getting around airports. Since a lot of information can be garnered from web-sites, the research should not be too onerous.

VivreManger, Cointrin (Geneva's airport) is not that big, so it will take you less than 10 minutes to walk at a steady pace from the arrival hall to the train station, once you have gone through customs. Going through customs shouldn't take that long, especially with a carry-on. I've also noticed that most flights arriving in Geneva in the morning tend to be early, so it is well possible that you'll land closer to 8:30, 8:45. Trains to Lausanne depart about every half hour, so you will be there with time to spare before lunch! You can find the train schedule on the CFF's website: click here

Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

Anne E. McBride

When life gives you lemons try to make interesting lemonade...

Airport layovers I have enjoyed:

Browsing at Lush - a foodesque “body shop” (lotions and potions like no other) in Heathrow

Sausage from German airport (I think it was Frankfort but don't recall)

Sampling jerking, looking at deerskin and Native American crafts in Alaska

Watching native dance in Papua New Guinea and then shopping at “native” kiosks at 2am in the morning!

Great crafts and interesting wallets in Seoul (right after the Asian stock market crash so things were extremely cheap).

Beats trying to sleep on those shaped chairs that us discount fliers are relegated to...(alas, no first class or business lounge for this traveler...) :raz::raz:

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Dear Vivremanger,

The only potential hang-up at Cointrin is waiting on line to buy your ticket into town. There are credit card machines, but they can be unreliable. If you want to chance it, go on board without a ticket. The ride into town is quick. You can always play dumb or tell the conductor the ticket line wasn't moving. The last time no one collected tickets both coming and going. Turn left after exiting Customs for the train station.

Thanks for the useful responses. Since I have tapped into a mother-lode of information, let me ask another question. At Charles de Gaulle, where in terminal 2 F and 2C are the ATMs located these days? Although I am flying off to Geneva, my wife and kids are staying in Paris so they need to get some cash right away in 2F where they arrive. When I return to Paris, via terminal 2C, I will have to get some Euros for myself.

One time I was in CDG the only bank network ATM in my terminal was in the passenger arrival area and that was out of order because of a strike by armored car drivers. All the other terminals were for credit cards alone.

My recollection that the Geneva airport is much smaller and better organized, but any details there would be appreciated.

As for favorite airport stories. Back in the 60s I got hijacked to Cuba. In addition to strong Cuban coffee and stronger Havana cigars, the lounge at Jose Marti airport was dotted with Cuban women, sketching the clothing of the American women so they could bring the latest US fashions to the island.

The Genevea airport is compact and well-organized. An escalator connects the arrivals and the departures areas. French Customs is easy-going. Are you flying Sleazyjet? Check-in is in the French sector departure area. Their ticket counter (but not check-in) is all the way at the other end from the entry to the France sector--walk left at the top of the escalator to their counter. All the banks are Swiss, so you would take a double hit changing Pounds or French francs into Euros. What else? Don't buy caviar as it probably is not really fresh. The French sector departure lounge is small; not a lot of magazines to choose from and just a bar-snack bar, no restaurant.

Thanks for all the info. For what it is worth, I am flying Air France in and out of Geneva; I will be buying Swiss francs with an American ATM card in Switzerland and Euros with the same card in France so I should avoid the double-hit. Since Switzerland is not part of the EuroCommunity, are there any deals in the duty free shop? I would be happy to get a cheap bottle of Black Label for my Paris hostess -- I will avoid the caviar. Since I will be training all the way to Lausanne, I don't think I can avoid a ticket-checker those 45 to 50 minutes, but thanks for the advice on short trips. Generally, I have bought tickets on Swiss and Euro trains, but one has to pay a supplement and can't use a credit card.

I am intrigued by the French sector/Swiss sector organization of the airport. Does that mean that since I am flying from Paris to Geneva, it is regarded as an internal French flight and in effect I don't cross the border when I land, but only when I move from one sector to another within the airport? Duty-free shops aren't what they used to be and they are generally more a convenience than a bargain, but I am curious as to whether they can even exist in such a setting.

With gratitude

Duty Free: The issue w.r.t to paying or not paying VAT in Duty Free is your Boarding Pass - Basel and Geneva are considered Duty Free zones (in Bazel, CH,FR,DE, all three have border zones)

Black Label is not going to be that cheap.

Re-reading your post - I would presume that you'll get your CDG-GVA boarding pass here in the US, since you are only transiting @ CDG - Pick your duty free (if it is standard fare) on board your US-CDG segment. Your description suggests transit in CDG, so you are non-EU visiting another non-EU country, plain and simple. You should also search Frequent Flyer hangout site for more information.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

More bad news. There is an air traffic controller's slow-down in western Europe. The information I have gotten so far is inconsistent. The BBC, last time I checked, claimed a 32 hour French strike starting Monday, today. Air France claims a more general strike will end on Wednesday, 27 November, 0600 (Paris time). They also claim that while some flights will be cancelled, my routing, Boston-Paris-Geneva, Tuesday/Wednesday remains in service. However at best there will be delays. I may not make lunch at La Petite Grappe in Lausanne. I have been trying to locate a reliable source of info. The IHT, Figaro, Liberation, and Le Monde sites had nothing, only the BBC. What is the RTF site? I have found it in the past, but not at the moment. Is there any good news web-site based in France that is likely to have accurate information on travel. A quick look at the Frequent Flyer Website hangout site did not look promising. This site seems more active and well-informed.