• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Williams-Sonoma Gift Certificates

mgaretz

I thought I'd ask fellow EGers for help:

We have about $250 worth of Williams-Sonoma gift certificates from our wedding. We got a lot of cool cookware from there as well, and we already had a pretty well-stocked kitechen, so I am looking for suggestions as to what we should use the $250 on.

Pretty well stocked on pots and pans, have stand mixer with pasta roller and meat grinder accessories, the new Cuisinart Elite 16 cup food processor, All-Clad slow cooker, blender, coffee maker, knives and a rice cooker.

So what should we consider?

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I second the ice cream maker! You could even get an attachment for your KitchenAid (I'm assuming that's what you have, since you mention other attachments).

How about a nice cutting board, or pastry board? Any other tools you could use? Rolling pin? Whisks? Fancy-shmancy wooden spoons?

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

High quality olive oils, vinegars, mustards, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Put a star next to the pure maple syrup, which is delicious and which will take a chunk out of your gift certificates.

It sounds like you're up to here in cookware, but in case you're not, W-S has some very useful All-Clad items on sale at a big discount.

4 qt saute pan:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-4-quart-saute-simmer-pan/?pkey=ccookware-all-clad%7Cckwallbst

10- and 12-inch nonstick skillet:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-nonstick-covered-fry-pan/?pkey=ccookware-all-clad%7Cckwallbst

Funny, I thought about the ice cream maker too. The one with the built-in freezer unit.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-supreme-electric-ice-cream-maker/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7Cice%20cream%20maker%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH

Croissants!! A few months ago I learned (via egullet, of course) of the Croissants that WS sells online. You set them out to thaw and rise overnight, and then bake them in the morning.

These have become a standard part of our special weekend breakfasts. They are so good!

Yes, they're a great source for all the varieties of Neilsen-Massey. Never tried any of their other foodstuffs though (except their hot chocolate, which is really just grated semi-sweet chocolate in a pretty tin, and quite yummy).

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

How about one of the Heineken beer serving devices that dispenses from a mini-Keg? Certainly sounds like a good addition to a well stocked kitchen.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

How about one of the Heineken beer serving devices that dispenses from a mini-Keg? Certainly sounds like a good addition to a well stocked kitchen.

I gave my husband one of these and he loves it. Several of our friends saw it and immediately went out and bought one for their spouses as well. Not sure that WS sells it though.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks all so far - some comments:

Oops, we do have the KA ice cream maker attachment - I forgot because we seldom use it - instead we use the Blendtec to make "soft serve".

Ditto the multi-chopper - it came as one of the wedding gifts - I like it but it's getting exchanged because the slicing blade sticks to the pusher.

Don't drink much beer any more - and wouldn't be Heineken if I did.

Got the 4 qt sauté/simmer pan with other gift certs last weekend - it is fantastic! Have the non-sticks too (the older non-D5 but they work great).

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Wine glasses or wine caraffes? Plates?

See if the certificates are good at Williams Sonoma's Home store. $250 should get you . . . a picture frame. Or a fork, maybe.

What about cutting boards? They seem have some really quality, sturdy wooden cutting boards. They also carry the enameled cast iron cookware, and if you don't have one of those I think that'd be pretty essential.

Finally they have these really cool looking mesh pans that you use over grills. If you've ever seen the No Reservations Spain episode you know what I'm talking about.

I happened to be at WS today. I bought a few different good vinegars - red wine, white wine, sherry, champagne. A couple of great potato scrubbers, etc.

I do like their selection of vinegars. So if that is something you're looking for, you could use your certificate for that.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Does your W-S offer cooking classes (for a fee)? That's always an option if you don't want more "stuff" for your kitchen.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Since WS is so maddeningly expensive, I use gift certificates to buy things I can't get elsewhere (I really like their microfiber dish towels), olive oils (if they have them open to sample), or things that might break (WS offers an endless warranty).

Notes from the underbelly