• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Italian?

Bobster

Some some food slave friends of mine from Chicago are coming in town and they want to go to a "great, authentic red-sauce Italian".

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know any to recommend, I usually go home when I want that (South Jersey). Any suggestions since Rao's is obviously still impossible?

Thank ya.

Some some food slave friends of mine from Chicago are coming in town and they want to go to a "great, authentic red-sauce Italian".

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know any to recommend, I usually go home when I want that (South Jersey). Any suggestions since Rao's is obviously still impossible?

Thank ya.

How about The Olive Garden? :laugh:

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Benitos 2 on Mulberrry St is good for that kind of thing if you want to hit Manhatten's Little Italy, then a cannolo maybe?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Go to Queens or even Bronx for Authentic neighborhood Italian restaurants where Pizza is not always on the menu and people on your next table might still speak italian.

Below are some places around Morris Park Ave, the neighborhoods are safe and easy to park. Enzo is more modernized but Pine and Fratelli are more old-style with huge portion.

Enzo's Restaurant

1998 Williamsbridge Road,

Bronx, NY 10461

Frankie And Johnnie's Pine Tavern Restaurant

1913 Bronxdale Avenue,

Bronx, NY 10462-3315

(near the corner of Muliner Ave and Bronxdale Ave)

Phone: 718.792.5956

Fratelli's Restaurant‎

2507 Eastchester Road

Bronx, NY 10469-5901

(718) 547-2489

For wood brick oven Pizza (especially its Sicilian style pizza) and also great pastas, go to

Patricia's

1080 Morris Park Avenue

Bronx, NY 10461

(718) 409-9069

Also, in Queens

Gino's

213-15 35th Avenue (on the corner of Bell Blvd)

Flushing, NY 11361-1544

(718) 352-3800

It has gone upscale, but its pizza is still top notch, really yummy crust, and comes in small size.

Edited by kyeblue (log)

Thank ya.

How about The Olive Garden? :laugh:

You naughty girl!